Random football stuff

I’ve just had a look at the official Arsenal calendar I got last Christmas and assuming the twelve players chosen were going to be first team regulars, it’s not great.
The first few were ok but look at this lot:
April - Saliba
May - Xhaka
June - Luiz
July - Pepe
September - Maitland Niles
October - Leno
November - Bellerin
December - Willian

Most of them don’t play, so should I get my money back under the trades description act.? :grinning:

2 Likes

“Messi 1st and Lewa not top 5”

Checks Argentina

:xhaka2:

2 Likes

8 Likes
  • Benitez must be quite daft to think Gareth Barry was better than Alonso
  • Wenger was daft to not push on Benitez’s daftness
  • Naturally Alonso shows Benitez what a nutter he is, has a world class season, goes off to Real Madrid for 18m.
  • Liverpool buy Aquilani for 20m who never amounted for much.
  • Liverpool never recovered from losing Alonso
1 Like

We wanted Reina and Alonso from Liverpool but weren’t prepared to pay the monies required for both. Both players infinitely improve our fortunes in that time as they were significant upgrades to our existing squad.

The difference between Reina and Almunia was ridiculous lol.

I really wish Wenger would have just pushed the button on a few players around that time frame - things could have been so different

6 Likes

If 18m was all it took to fetch Alonso, Wenger was being massively dumb. Alonso was as true a Wenger midfielder as one could imagine.

Imagine a midfield fo Cesc and Alonso

7 Likes

When Trion thinks Wenger made a mistake you know the games up.

4 Likes

No. I’ll cry.

3 Likes

Let’s keep in mind Wenger switched to a three man midfield around this point also. Which makes this even more of a fail.

2 Likes

Liverpool aren’t ever selling to Arsenal.

That’s perhaps the only good explanation to it. Benitez however massively fucked Liverpool by making Alonso feel like an outcast

1 Like

Yea they definitely would have sold him.

I remember posters on here preferring Gareth Barry to Xabi Alonso. Bradymagic to name just one. It’s wild how overrated Gareth Barry like he was Steven Gerrard of the Midlands.

The main criticism of Xabi Alonso was that he was too slow. Some questioned his playmaking.

Must have been 15 years ago, but I don’t forget :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I think they were both overrated, personally.

Xabi Alonso was fucking class.

6 Likes

Those posters would make good use of the drugs thread

3 Likes

Nope

What? How was he not?

1 Like

I thought I read that as world class.

Definitely not a world class player. A good player, but not world class

He absolutely was a world class player but it’s a matter of opinion ultimately.

1 Like