Random football stuff

15 million is a small price to pay to not look like the biggest cunt of a football club in the world.

11 Likes

If he was alive and well would he not be turning out for Cardiff right now?

It’s quite pathetic.

If Cardiff are insistent that they shouldn’t pay because he wasn’t really their player then why did they so overtly mourn him as if he was? They went beyond paying respects, the club and fans took him to heart and actually mourned his death, and everyone joined them because their sense of loss seemed so heartfelt.

I’m not meaning to be conceited, but I honestly think they’d have a really hard time arguing against that point, on a moral and logical level if not legally speaking.

1 Like

9 Likes

Decent article this

I think the whole Sala thing is a very difficult one to call and remove the emotion from. Whilst at the end of a day we are ultimately talking about a person that has lost his life, football players whilst under contract are commodities, they move between clubs for money.

I’m not quite sure whose side I’m on here but whilst £15m to a club like Arsenal isn’t really that much money, Cardiff are we must remember very small in comparison. It’s easy to be honourable and do the right thing with someone else’s £15m. If it’s true that the sale hadn’t yet been fully completed and the player wasn’t legally a Cardiff player, then they might have a point.

If it’s just about being honourable, you could argue that the honourable thing for Nantes to do would be to say “he played lots of games for us and we benefitted from his services, and you never did, so we’ll forget about the transfer fee” or we’ll split the loss. Seemingly the transport was arranged by the agent acting on behalf of Nantes.

If I buy a house and agree to purchase on the condition that it passes a survey and all the relevant other checks then said house burns down, should I still be expected to buy the house even though a deal was agreed on condition of other formalities being met, I don’t think so.

Common sense will eventually prevail and one side will lose out, at the moment though its not much clearer which side.

2 Likes

Cardiff are claiming because they themselves hadn’t registered him the transfer wasn’t complete. Unless their contract with Nantes said the sale wasn’t complete/fee wasn’t payable until they did that (not sure why any selling club would agree to something like that) then it’s irrelevant. The contract and fee was for the transfer of his player registration. What Cardiff did or didn’t do with that is their problem.

1 Like

Utter slimy from Cardiff.

Their supporters really need to make a vocal stand, the club’s reputation is being dragged through the mud

1 Like

Sort of but not really.

Taken from sky sports

It is understood the club will argue that Sala’s contract had been rejected by the Premier League because it contravened signing-on fee rules and was therefore ‘null and void’, Sky Sports News reported.

He had been unable to sign a revised deal before his death.

The club will also claim that further contract clauses - proposed by Nantes - had not been met.

Without these clauses being fulfilled, Cardiff will argue Sala was perfectly entitled to join another club with more than a week of the January transfer market remaining.

2 Likes

Told and expounded everyday by everyone involved in football that its a business now. Cardiff are just challenging a legal deal on a commodity for the best of their venture.
Not nice talking about human beings like that but thats the harsh reality of it. Really dont see why their fans should have to bare any responsibility for this one way or another tbh.

I kinda sympathize with Cardiff.
For people saying 15m is nothing for an English club, Sala was their club record signing.
These are not the clubs which can just throw 15m at nothing (as rude as it may sound).

But then again Sala was only on that flight and subsequently dead now because he was on the flight to come to Cardiff. Had he not been in the process to be a Cardiff player, Nantes would still have an asset.

both Cardiff & Nantes should understand each other & come to a settlement.

1 Like

If he wasn’t a Cardiff player why did the club go above and beyond to pay tribute to him?

3 Likes

He was a Cardiff player but they’re trying to get out of it on a technicality “Well actually we hadn’t crossed the t on page 316”.

I do get where they’re coming from, it is a lot of money. But given the circumstances it’s pretty lame on their part. Sometimes you just have to suck it up.

In a sick kind of way, they were in the limelight and that’s difficult to resist. I’m not saying it was as calculated as that on their part but it’s difficult not to play into the media’s hands when they’re looking to wring every last ounce of emotion out of any situation. That’s my take anyway.

In regards to Cardiff’s position on payment, as others have said, if the deal wasn’t 100% buttoned up then it’s a legal matter and will probably be clear. It’s distasteful to talk about a human life in such cold terms but that’s a much wider discussion. I mean, the whole buying and selling/ ownership of people takes on a whole new meaning in any other context, but we don’t think of it in those terms here mainly because players do pretty well out of the situation.

1 Like

:joy: Very good

2 Likes
4 Likes

Nike used to make the best ads out there :

personal favorite, and those total 90 boots, absolute classic.

6 Likes

Man they even had games and shit on their websites to go alongside all this. Like you’d play in Thierry’s house kicking the ball around to win shit, or you’d play on that cage football ship, on their website against AI. Crazy stuff. No idea why that all went away it was class.

2 Likes

I guess the idea of a CR7 Las Vegas Nightclub simulator was denied early on…

:ramsey:

10 Likes

This is what happens when you replace creative marketers to lazy bunch who rather pander to social topics.