Qarabağ FK vs Arsenal (The Craigie derby)

Absolutely hilarious we are on an 8 game winning streak in all competitions. Another game where scoreline isn’t a true reflection, but hey if you take your chances and the other side doesn’t you make your own luck.

On a side note, great to see Smith- Rowe & Doozi get on the scoresheet.

3 Likes

We’re certainly getting the results, even if the performances are still a little way from being where we’d like. On top of that Qarabag away is trickier than it sounds

@Luca_from_Italy where is the third goal please? Don’t make me search Twitter myself. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I get you.

A real test of our mettle would be to see how we bounce back from a defeat (which looks most likely like it’ll be against Liverpool).

Or we could be Wenger-like and let the foul stench of defeat fester.

Didn’t watch the game, as i worked until 7:00 p.m. I am just happy we are winning despite not playing well.

1 Like

Really cool finish :kos2:

3 Likes

I haven’t seen us once in the Europa League this season

#fakefan

:pensive:

2 Likes
1 Like

The problem is that regression to the mean eventually happens. If we keep these subpar performences up we will lose points. We will meet teams/forwards who can finish. Unless we improve obviously…

An Englishman told me that the best thing to come out of Scotland was the Great North Road.

I didn’t catch the game but those highlights made us look ropey as fuck! Leno looked to make a number of good saves which is encouraging. ESR looks like he can play with both feet too right?

Just watched highlights and all I can say is, we have a potentially great keeper in Leno. The scoreline definitely flatters us and on another day, this could have been 3 - 3 or 3 - 5 or anything else. It’s an 8th straight win but the lingering worry is that the only reason we are winning is because we are taking our chances (some of them) while our oppositions have been missing most of theirs.

Still early days in Unai’s reign so we have to be patient and perhaps thankful that we are on this amazing run of results, even though we are quite dodgy defensively.

The difference between Emery and Wenger is that although we are still poor defensively, we are winning matches as well as keeping clean sheets.

In all our recent matches the score doesn’t really reflect the way we have played but we have been getting the wins, so whatever Emery is doing different I hope he keeps doing it.

But I do think that it’s more down to the quality of the opposition.
If opposition like Everton, Watford and Quarabag had our attacking players, I think some of those results would have been different.

1 Like

TBF Wenger’s recent teams would go on winning streaks against average opposition before falling apart against the better teams.

4 Likes

We played two teams who should finish in the top half of the table. But agreed we played opposition we should beat nine out of ten times.

Can’t argue with the streak regardless of caveats; however, I think it is worth noting how much we are riding our luck. Based on the eye test, we haven’t looked all that great or all that solid for substantial portions of our winning run - not saying we didn’t deserve the 3 points most of the time, but those are breaks that can go the other way if we don’t change things.

And then based on Expected Goals and EGA, seems like we are definitely riding our luck a bit…

Winning does cure all ills though - as confidence blooms, the team gets more functional (I f*ing hope), and we get a better sense of squad sorting, things should improve. I just hope our next wobble doesn’t derail us too much - one thing I will say at least is that it FEELS like we are bit more stout and resolute in games… of course that could all be confirmation bias at this point.

2 Likes

I agree.
In the winning run we are on, the teams we have played have had as many chances as us, if not more, but the difference is we have had better finishers.
The quality we have upfront with Aubameyang, Lacazette and Ozil, is as good as most other PL teams, but our defence is poor, even if we have been keeping clean sheets.

If Emery can sort out the defence, which is the one thing I thought would happen when he took over, then we have a very good all round team.

1 Like

Nice of our defense to put Leno to the test. He will be nice and warm for sunday now :henry2:

3 Likes

That just made me chuckle.:arteta:

2 Likes

Yeah with other big clubs it takes them ages to know the deficiencies of their keeper.
We need handful of games cause of our considerate defenders

1 Like