Pride and prejudice

There will be an array of responses to this and hard to tell which one is correct.

Your kid can go about this in multiple ways

• learn to be on his own and enjoy his own company without being that guy who hates to interact with others
  • Hang on long enough to find the common interests. You can only have so many conversations about horses, stable or businesses.
  • Develop a charm of his own so all this doesn’t matter
  • You don’t need 30 friends, only one or two is enough.

This is a fairly common issue with so many teenagers so I won’t worry about him in terms of not being able to socialize.

However, I would say your kid needs to learn to suck it up or Man up or whatever phrase is used to basically not let such things pull you down.
You can be all supportive and give him advice or tricks to make friends but as long as his self worth or confidence is linked with the action of others, His confidence will always be fragile.

1 Like

Take your point mate and appreciate them but have to point out he’s come from a background of knowing most of these issues in life.
As parents although naturally concerned we are trying to get that balance of support and not being that emotional crutch.
Recognise he has to take initiative but as some have alluded to and himself he’s recognising other situations in the past now.
Panic attacks though and stress are not something I want him trying to solve by Manning up to.
There’s enough evidence where this can lead to detrimental wellbeing.
This is not me being disrespectful to your reply though.

6 Likes

It’s so amazing that he has come to you about his problems when most guys wouldnt and not only that. You’ve taken the problems on board and want to help as best you can, Well done Stroller I respect that so much.

The best thing at the moment is that his course tutor is there for him and that you are as well, that will mean so much to him. It sounds like he has anxiety issues and I’m similar in that regard, the example of mimicking accents and then he feels like hes their clown is all in his head I’m sure. Hes definitely overthinking social situations which I hope his counsellor will help with then hopefully it will get better with time.

Does he have anyone up there that he feels comfortable with? Does he play games? Does he like to read? Unis have a diverse amount of people there, it will be okay and he will find people, focus on his work and what he finds relaxing.

4 Likes

Really sorry to hear this @Stroller.

I actually can relate to this and actually I went through a lot of these emotions during my time at uni too.

I completely agree with what everyone here has said and it’s definitely a very positive thing he’s opened up about it. Not something I ever did, but now do with the benefit of hindsight and it being well in the past.

I dealt with it in perhaps not the most economical way but arranging frequent weekend visits home always gave me something to look forward to.

And weirdly, against the usual consensus - even today (7 years after graduating) I honestly don’t have that close a tie with any of my friends I made from uni. I don’t necessarily think it was anything wrong with me either, or down to fitting in, because my mates and flatmates were great fun and I still look back at my student days as a fun chapter in life. I think the pressure of thinking you’ll have the best time of your life and making lifelong friends once you move to university can be daunting, and therefore depressing if it doesn’t map out that way.

2 Likes

Yeah he has housemates and he is comfortable with his own space mostly. He has two meetings with people today. So he’s taking initiative this week and I’m pleased with that.
He’s up there on his own this week after being home, so he’s done well tbf to him.

2 Likes

Well that’s a start, hes probably finding the whole experience mentally exhausting and that’s why he talked to you, he knows you’re there and hes going to smash it. Keep up with letting him know you’re there for him.

2 Likes

This is key. I’ve seen first hand when this goes slightly off from what people expect it creates confusion and doubt.

2 Likes

@Stroller You should be proud of your son for opening up and seeking help for the issues he is facing. That is the most important step and also the hardest. It’s never easy admitting that something is wrong and then actually doing something to address it. The mind will play tricks to make you feel that it’s your fault that people bully or take the piss out of you. The mind might even make you believe that you deserve it. You must also have a trusting relationship for him to come to you - respect for that as well.

Perhaps there were social anxiety issues there before, but irrespective, the university experience has brought them to the fore. Getting proper support from the uni is very good, and I do feel that staying up there to deal with the issues is the best antidote. Staying at home might bring with it additional negative feelings e.g. feeling defeated, weak, that you are giving up etc. If at all possible, you should encourage him to stay there and try to visit him there if he does want to see you / the family.

Unfortunately, you get douchebags at every uni. People who lack any semblance of self-awareness and don’t have the slightest clue how their own behavior / actions impact others. They can be rich or poor folks - cunts are literally everywhere in life as I’m sure you know yourself.

I would encourage your boy to seek out whatever counselling he can from the uni and to join societies where he can meet people with similar interests. That football society you mentioned is a positive start, but he should definitely try other ones too.

As with any uni, you’ll find a diverse range of people there. It seems your son got stuck with a very specific set of bellends who have made him feel a bit lonely and trapped. You need to reinforce that not everybody there will be like that. All he needs is to meet one or two good people - he’ll need to put himself out there a bit to find them which is going to be difficult but it’s the course of action I would recommend. Together with counselling, it will build his confidence back up.

It might take a while but at least he’s started the path to addressing his issues. Wish him, you and your family all the best mate.

11 Likes

I highly recommend social deduction games like Secret Hitler. I believe businesses use it to help employees bond with each other. It’s also allot of fun.

Best way to deal with most stressful situation.

1 Like

You’re probably right, but based on when I was applying for unis (about a decade ago) I was surprised to hear that Newcastle actually had one of the highest numbers of public school kids enrolled. Received wisdom at the time from my public school mates I made at Warwick was that the kids who didn’t make Oxbridge often ended up at Newcastle. But as I said, you’re still gonna be right on this, just thought it might be of interest cos it surprised me a lot at the time.

@Stroller this thread is bringing up a hell of a lot of memories for me mate, this could get pretty rambly and a bit of a personal account, but I think it’s pretty relevant and may be of some help, even if only to hopefully make you feel better about your son’s situation (I hope).

When I went to uni there was an element of a bit of a culture shock. I happened to fall into a crowd of predominantly public school people, and even those who weren’t, they often went to fairly posh grammar schools, a world apart from my appalling East London comprehensive (shout out to @Hassan who went to the same secondary school and can back me up on its quality lol). So even though I’m pretty middle class (and was one of the only “posh” kids at my secondary school in my year) when I got to uni I got some stick for the fairly urban influences on my accent and the kind of slang I used. Luckily it was mostly good natured banter, and I was on occasion cocky enough to fire back with quips about still ending up at the same uni as then despite not having parents spend five figure sums a year on my schooling, which shut them up and made them laugh, so it never really felt like they were trying to make me feel like a bit of an outcast. Though at first there was a part of me that slightly struggled with the feeling of not being sure I really fit in, especially after coming from a schooling environment where I absolutely didn’t fit in and actually got properly bullied for it (day to day on a verbal or mental basis, and from time to time physically). I think I thought that once I got to uni I’d be around people just like me, that I’d be totally in my element, and that there wouldn’t be anything that would make me stand out as different to my contemporaries. But I think we were all just eighteen year olds who were often previously big fish in smaller ponds, and we got to uni and were trying to establish ourselves in a much bigger pond, trying to make sense of our new environments. It was like that for much of first year, but everyone does a fair bit of growing up quite quickly, and I felt that a lot of the bravado and desperation to prove oneself died down in most people, which is what I think is often the cause of people digging out others for their background or accents or anything else. Though of course some people are just cunts, but hopefully these aren’t the people your son is surrounded by.

So I am hopeful that your son finds this becomes less of an issue as this academic year goes by, and even more so in his second and third years if he is happy and comfortable with staying there and continuing with his course.

That’s not to say that you should both sit back and just see how it goes, not by a long stretch. It’s actually brilliant that your son feels able to come to you and share his feelings, and go to his tutors and medical professionals to seek help. That’s the most important thing he can do at this stage, it shows a real maturity on his part, a lot of emotional intelligence. Which I wish I had ten years ago when I first went to uni. I was depressed, fell behind on my work, and basically barely engaged with my course. I threw myself into the nightlife and all that comes with it to a bit of an unhealthy extent, and did the absolute minimum I could to avoid getting kicked out, but nothing that would actually benefit my education. Having always been a high achiever at school and college, it felt awful to be failing, and I didn’t feel able to talk to my parents about it, or my friends, or even any of the tutors. I ended up miraculously managing an almost unheard of feat, I managed to not get kicked out until deep into my third year, so I’m the only person I’ve ever met who managed to go to uni for three years and leave without a fucking degree. I then spent about two years doing temp jobs and retail work, as well as some lengthy periods of unemployment, basically thoroughly depressed the whole time (and even then I still didn’t seek any professional help ffs)

So what you’re telling me about your son reminds me of a lot of feelings I had at uni, but the difference is, he’s acting on them after about four months, whereas I didn’t deal with my issues for about four years. I feel like your son will be absolutely fine, because he is clearly smart and mature, and is willing to actually make use of the support network he has around him, unlike me. It’s great that he’s talking to you about it, but also that he’s making use of the pastoral care provided by his tutors. They’ll have had hundreds of kids who have had these exact same issues in their first year, it’s honestly so common, and they’ll be there to guide him through the first year and make sure he is in a good place from his second year I really kick on with the harder work and get that degree. So in terms of him being behind with his work after a few months, I really wouldn’t be too concerned by this at all. I know countless people (including myself of course) who scraped through first year by the very skin of their teeth, and unlike me all of them went on to get those degrees with minimal fuss. Academically, in most courses first year doesn’t even count towards your final grade, you’ve just got to pass it. And unis will go to some lengths to make sure their students do continue to their second years.

In terms of his mental health and happiness, my advice would be just to make sure that he knows that whatever happens in the end, it’s OK, you’re their to support him and this does not constitute a failure on his part, even if he decides to drop out entirely. If he’s like me, the worry about being a failure will be a huge part. I wish someone told me in my first year that it was fine if I was struggling with the massive change in my life, and that it would even be OK to drop out and return to education in a more suitable environment for me, at a time when I was ready to truly commit to it. If I’d done that I wouldn’t have wasted about four years of my life. I’m happy with where I am now in life, but sometimes I can’t help but think about how much better I could be doing if I started my full time career six years earlier like many of my friends did (I ended up going back to uni at 24, getting my degree and then starting my full time career in 2017).

Its also fairly common for people to switch unis too after a year, that’s a feasible option if he is ready to commit to university, but just isn’t happy in Newcastle. He really sounds like he’d excel in the right environment.

The most important thing for the moment is that he is talking to medical professionals, you and also his tutors. He’s doing everything right, which makes me optimistic that he will be just fine. I really can’t emphasise enough that he sounds like an emotionally mature teenager, and you should take a lot of heart and encouragement from that. Easy for me to say from this position of being totally removed from the situation emotionally, but I think this will work out for him in the end, because he’s handling his issues like an adult (well, handling it better than many adults tbh)

I don’t have kids so feel a bit uncomfortable giving what amounts to parenting advice, but I would make sure that he knows that however this ends up, it’s OK, that he absolutely should not carry any sense of failure. So many kids go through this when they get to uni, and whether they persist with the course, drop out to take stock and return later, switch unis, or ultimately decide university isn’t for them, as long as they deal with the situation appropriately, it will all be fine in the end. Let him know your support is unconditional, and that you’re proud of him for opening up and dealing with his difficulties, and that whatever course of action he feels is best for him, it will all be OK in the end because he has all the tools to succeed in life, he just needs an environment where he is happy and able to flourish. IMO there’s not much more you need to be doing for him. Lots of kids in his shoes don’t have a supportive dad/parents, you’re already giving him that and that’s probably what he needs most imo.

PS, I did promise it would be fucking rambly :arteta:

9 Likes

^This has outlined it better than I ever could have.

I don’t think it should be underestimated just how big of a deal that your son came to you so early on is.

And that he’s looking for help.

It shows that he’s a very smart, humble and mature guy, and that you guys must have a really good bond.

It’s a shame he feels out of place at times, but yeah joining a fuckton of societies and clubs can help.

His course people may have a football team etc.

That way he may find more people he had things in common with.

But yeah, these uni pastoral care people see a lot of this and are very experienced so I would like to think he’s in good hands.

In terms of advice for yourself stroller, I think what Jakey said there about failure and being there for him is sound advice.

I’d imagine more people feel like this as unis become more representative and admit more people from state schools, into an environment where most students are still privately educated.

The fact is though, he got in just like everybody else. He has officially been deemed at least as good as whoever is taking the piss out of him so he should never forget that.

2 Likes

Okay quick update. My son has had talks with the university now and the outcome is he restarts this year’s work in September.
An assessment will be made and support plan put in place for then.
Recommendations and help will be given for his anxiety issues as of now.
Seems in a much better state of mind now and is going to stay up in Newcastle as well.
Thanks to everyone who posted or messaged me. I know it took a lot of time by some and soul searching by the depths of the answers.
Truly enlightened and helped and something I won’t forget.
More than a forum this place. True community. Thanks to all of you again.

23 Likes

Yeah something I’ll always love about OA is that it isn’t the most active and busy if the online football communities huts its a really personal place with some damn good people on it.

Glad to hear he’s in a better state of mind mate. Hope the next academic year is a lot better for him.

9 Likes

Yeah it really is. Shout out to @BigWeng_4LYFE he was one of the first to like my post.
We banter hard now and then on here but meant a lot as did all the others as I knew it was meant as support.

3 Likes

Great to hear pal. And kudos to the university for being so attentive. Feels good and I’m glad your young man plus yourself have yourselves in a much better position!

1 Like

Yeah thanks. Flatmate and him going to see Newcastle Rochdale midweek. 🤷

3 Likes

Is he missing out on a year or does he continue to study for next?

Misses out but has further discussion with his tutor for advice on this.
A lot depends on his assessment by the medical side of things.

Good to hear Stroller, all the best for the kid.

1 Like