Pre-2000s Football

I think this is were the 94 definition gets used a lot.
Meaningful games after the final didn’t really happen again for him.
Never felt like he was ever truly trusted after that.

2 Likes

I was living in Italy at the time so saw quite a bit of him on tv and at a few matches but being a Napoli fan and actually admiring a Juve player was a difficult place to be. Besides I noticed him when he was at Fiorentina first.
But as I mentioned before one of my favourite players so he has to be special.
To put it into context it’s like saying an Arsenal fan favourite player is Harry Kane

1 Like

Problem with his talent as well is that 90s Italian football had a lot of pragmatic coaches at the top who didn’t trust players like him.

2 Likes

I’m not even sure why he fell out with Sacchi

His rise to prominence at Fiorentina was beautiful to watch.
He was rewriting Italian football individuality single handed.
I always think of him as their player. Just pure football expression pouring out of him and crowds going wild for him.
Just one of those periods of football harmony shared with fans.
Obviously you know that on a bigger level at Napoli with Diego.

2 Likes

Didn’t he have previous issues with Lippi aswell? And I remember reading once he had a lot of issues with the Bologna manager during his ridiculous season there where he re-established himself.

@Stroller think his career holds a lot of what ifs with regards to fitness and playing somewhere his talent could be appreciated.

It’s also crazy that he played for Juventus, Milan and Inter for 9 of the 10 seasons in the 90s and only won about 3 or 4 trophies throughout his career.

Mercurial talent but shunned by so many top managers

3 Likes

Watching ‘Maradona’ truly made me understand what a God he was in Naples. I always read it but seeing the raw footage in that fantastic documentary

3 Likes

Oh absolutely because Southern Italians feel divided from the rest of the country Baggio was a player that everyone loved.
But Maradona actually was someone who widened the divide so much so that many Southern Italians supported Argentina during the World cup and kind of alienated Maradona towards the end of his Napoli career.

2 Likes

When I first saw him at Napoli I spent the whole 90 minutes not taking my eyes off him, I think it’s why to me he will always be the greatest

1 Like

How good was Careca. I was reading he was a shoe in for the 82 side but got injured pre tournament.
It was Brazil weak link in that tournament and always gets a little forgotten about at Napoli but he was a big part of that side then.

3 Likes

He was a great player part of a great front three which was called Magica along with Maradona and Giordano. I remember him scoring in both legs of the Uefa Cup final.
He was a great all round striker scored with both feet and great in the air too.
The 80s and 90s were stacked with unbelievable strikers unfortunately it’s something we don’t have these days

3 Likes

Yeah I was watching some stuff on Tomas Skhuravy at Genoa the other day.
By no means elite in the company he was around at that time but would reach a considerable sum in today’s game with what’s available now.
Conveyor belt system made footballers the world over now.

2 Likes

There’s never been a player that had such an impact at club or international level as Maradona did for the teams he played in.

3 Likes

How many clubs are there who have renamed their stadium after one of their own?
How many clubs play with one of their legends face on their shirts ( Granted Napoli have about 10 shirts each season)

1 Like

Inter and Milan with the Giuseppe Meazza Stadium? Or has the stadium always been called that?

Not quite sure actually I always call it the San Siro

My favourite celebration ever

3 Likes

Mad.

Man just says his name as he celebrates :laughing:

Coulda been worse. Alan Sunderland painting the air blue.

The Germans were dead tired after the semi against France.

2 Likes

The greatest celebration ever

1 Like