Pre-2000s Football

Think it’s more than that. Academy football moulds players into this and robs kids of individuality and personality.
Nearly all teams set up in the same way. There’s not much different about players in England, Italy, Germany or south America now.
The opening up of players all over the world playing everywhere has took that uniqueness away too.

2 Likes

7/10 and would have been 8 if I hadn’t overthought one of them.

You scored 3 out of 10!
Swindon Town
You really struggle at the highest level.

All of them guesses too. Too much for me :santi:

Falls in the 99/00 CL season so I consider it just about making the cut.

What a striker. God like striking ability.

The way he bought himself space with a simple move against a world class CB like Stam.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Beast.

3 Likes

Jesus, one thing I love about him that I’ve only really seen r9 do (and even here weah seems to do it more frequently) is the scoring a goal with his sprint, as in he’s running into the ball and it just fucks the keeper up because there’s no backswing, just another stride in his sprinting pattern and he’s kicked the ball into the net.

Such a “simple” technique but he’s perfect at it.

3 Likes
4 Likes

(51) Trevor Sinclair’s overhead kick v Barnsley (1997) Best Ever FA Cup Goal? | From the Archive - YouTube

Trevor Sinclair, with the GREATEST overhead kick, EVER.

5 Likes

How much does xG reduce on an overhead kick anybody? :nerd_face:

2 Likes
5 Likes

5 Likes

Amazing video. Pep, Jose and the late great Sir Bobby Robson talking about R9 during his incredible sole season at Barcelona.

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLDSX83gEjj/?igshid=nrehlr9at2e9

Scorer of nothing but great goals.

Can we not embed Instagram videos?

3 Likes

Nope, it’s annoying.

1 Like

Let’s add another decent left foot from the 90s… :bergkamp:

And they say Neuer was the first keeper who knew how to use his feet :ozil:

3 Likes

Great performance from your guy @SRCJJ

The state of that fucking pitch though :joy:

1 Like

He was a complete striker. No weaknesses to his game. And playing a game with that level of close control and asserting your dominance on a pitch like that speaks volumes about Ronaldo’s quality.

I couldn’t imagine trying to play football on a pitch like that lol

3 Likes

Great performance.
Imagine what he would be like playing on grass.

That pitch is worse than Highbury before the PL and we were one of the only clubs with under soil heating.

I went to some of our matches where the pitch was mostly mud and sand but some of the other grounds, like at Derby and Chelsea, were just water logged and, whoever won the toss, would choose to play from the shallow end.

It just shows that, no matter what the conditions, the great players can still shine.

4 Likes
3 Likes