Podcasts & Audiobooks

Oh boyyyy are you in for a treat. Start off with The Day Today, if you like it then watch Brass Eye as its incredibly similar but cranked up to eleven.

If you’re feeling both then I can recommend some of his more obscure and not quite as amazing work. But for my money those are two of the best British comedies of the past thirty years ish, and for satire they still seem very relevant, whereas you watch other bits of satire and they seem dated af.

What did you think of Four Lions? It’s pretty different to his other work, bu if you weren’t feeling it then that’s probably a decent sign that you won’t love what I’ve recommended.

In terms of what you might know him from, he’s the boss in The IT Crowd, Denholm Reyholm before Matt Berry excellently took up the reigns as his son.

1 Like

I remember my uncle telling me to watch Brass Eye when I was in secondary school but I never took up on the recommendation. He also had a hand in Nathan Barley which I’m pleased about as that is excellent.

Four Lions was really strange I thought. Compelling in that it was daft but also nailing a really serious matter. Quite a quirky juxtaposition that I wasn’t ready for but certainly found really interesting, funny and concerning in one sitting.

I will most certainly be looking into your recommendations now though.

1 Like

Secondary school would have been a bit too soon for me maturity wise. You’re better off viewing it when you’re a bit older. You’d have enjoyed it then but there are nuances we’d all miss as young/mid teenagers.

Love Nathan Barley, Chris Morris and Charlie Brooker is a formidable partnership. It really nailed the Shoreditch wanker about five years before it became a mainstream stereotype, and has a great British comedy ensemble.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on The Day Today and Brass Eye. Especially the final episode of Brass Eye, titled Paedogeddon :joy:

1 Like

This will be good :fire::fire::fire:

How is his new film? Any good, reviews have been mixed.

Carragher’s accent & voice on podcast? No thanks.
On top of it, Henry’s pretentious voice.

No thanks

1 Like

+1

I’ve been listening to Athletico Mince whilst painting the house and it’s brilliant. I don’t know how Bob and Andy talk absolute cobblers for over half an hour and make it entertaining.

Also, Gossipmongers is really good. It’s only 30 mins long and packs in a lot of laughs.

@JakeyBoy I don’t know what your general take on Joe Rogan is but he recently posted one with Malcolm Gladwell that I thought you might like.

@JakeyBoy you said you like the tifo stuff

1 Like

Dont you feel like the whole Arsenal situation has been done to death.

Omg who heard Arseblogs description of the Mourinho and Spurs combo, comparing it to a Pulis/Allerdyce hybrid creature. Absolutely pissed myself.

4 Likes

Love it when he goes on a big winded ramble and describes stuff like this :joy:

1 Like

And the bit after with the restaurant analogy. Fuck me I nearly crashed the car.

1 Like

@Electrifying :giroud3:

1 Like

Not as confident but yeah, another cold shower.

Fuck Sanllehi.

if anyone figures out where to listen to this if it is indeed free and accessible from outside the UK (Sweden) let me know :slight_smile: I googled a bit but couldn’t find anything, maybe because it isn’t up yet or something.

They aren’t released until tomorrow morning at 7am don’t know if you missed the first tweet

Two great new podcasts to listen to! :heart_eyes:

Spotify links for anyone interested

The “handbrake off” is really good. Very different to the arsecast extra as it’s more about serious discussion but brilliant now to have two entirely different but both great arsenal podcasts!

4 Likes

The ‘handbrake off’ first ep with Lee Dixon and co was a good listen. Found myself agreeing with Lee on most points.

1 Like