Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Best striker in the world?

What you guys think. When you consider what he’s up against.

Random nerds and wrong’uns currently rate Lewandowski as that, but he plays in the Bundesliga so that doesn’t count.

@Great-White-Gooner I hope he’s straight to Edu and Raul’s office issuing ultimatums.

He must consider himself quite unlucky that he didn’t get the chance to negotiate a renewal with the old regime, having seen Ozil’s success in the matter.

1 Like

Fucking no , not even close have you seen auba try and hold the ball up or attempt a little bit difficult pass? Fantastic poacher though.

2 Likes

Who do you think then? Maybe Firmino I guess.

Auba is deffo up there though

Kane lewandowski aguero firmino are all players I prefer.

I like my strikers having a wide skillset always have done, yes poachers get goals but they dont allow others to get goals so it affects how the team play. Used to argue with man u fans all the time when I was younger, ruud van nistelrooy is a fantastic goal scorer but it also coincided with their least successful period. What did he win in 6 seasons ? Like 1 league title ?

I think the team has no real scorer besides him, nor do we play well enough to have any other scorers in the team

1 Like

Aguero I agree with. Easily a better striker than Aubameyang.

Kane, in this Arsenal set-up, would be even more isolated than Auba appears at times. Hence why I’d give PEA the edge in a Kane v PEA argument.

Lewandowski I haven’t seen enough of.

All three Liverpool strikers are playing in a fantastic system at the moment such that we’re surprised if they don’t score. But, much like the Kane thing, would any one of Salah, Mane or Firminho be any better for us if they swapped with Auba right now? I don’t think so.

2 Likes

He saves us yes but I would never say he is the best in the world, because he is limited and that limited skillset limits the team. In my opinion. Football is a team game, we bought giroud and walcott ramsey et al chipped in fucking loads of goals.

Not comparing giroud and auba. Just highlighting an enabling striker helps other players that are not originally known for their goal scoring to be successful

Yes I prefer auba 400%

You are right, however i think with a better setup he would score more goals, as well as the team as a whole.

:unai:

All the more reason to get a new manager in to try and convince them to stay

1 Like

Good thing we have that policy where if you have two years left and you don’t sign we will sell you…

4 Likes

I would genuinely sell both. For Auba, I think he knows his time is ticking so I reckon he’ll try his shot at getting a move to Madrid.
Laca, he still has time and I think he’s one of those who could play with either Nketiah or Martinelli, still, if a good offer comes and he wants to move then so be it.
I would probably try to give more focus towards Pepe next season.

2 Likes

try and keep Auba. Laca can go, i lose zero sleep over him.

2 Likes

If we I was forced to pick only one, it would be Auba every day. He is 30 but don’t see his movement / intelligence declining massively in the next 2.5 seasons. Have to try and keep him, but it’s always a gamble giving a big contract to a 30 year old. As much as I don’t think he will decline hugely, you cannot legislate for injuries or whether they will maintain peak physical performance.

On the other hand, If Lacazette doesn’t sign, definitely sell him for £40-50m next summer. 38 goals in 91 appearances isn’t the sort of player we should be throwing £250k/w at. He is 29 in May too so this is his last chance for a big contract, and ours to sell for a decent fee. Laca has a lot of qualities but he just doesn’t score enough goals for us. By contrast, Auba has 50 goals in 76 appearances.

Hopefully Martinelli continues to develop and Pepe can step up. At this point, we have to be smart about transfers. Lacazette is the more expendable asset if we can only give a bumper contract to one of them.

4 Likes

I can see it already. Auba doesn’t sign and ends up leaving, meanwhile Lacazette is patiently sat there waiting for us to offer bumper terms and signs on when we offer more than we should cos we’re losing our other star forward, leaving us with a very expensive striker who doesn’t quote score enough goals.

Ozil v 2.0 again, although imho Laca is underrated here, although I agree he doesn’t score enough goals.

1 Like

Yeah as I’ve been saying for sometime, for all Lacazette’s qualities he’s only a 1 in 2.5 merchant, so if we get a quality fee at the age of 29 it’s a no brainer imo.

1 Like

Don’t forget Nketiah!

We can potentially get him back, firing on all cylinders, too.

Lol, the exact same thing happened with Ozil and Sanchez :joy: