Pictures of OA members

I would say you need it more in cities. If you have an accident while riding away from the city, it’s most likely your own fault. In cities, even if you are ultra careful, you might still end up in a crash cause most people just ignore bikers, even pedestrians. And our (Indian) cities are really dodgy.

I am going by my limited experience of cycling and most likely I am wrong.
Within cities, I hardly ever speed up more than 30-40kmph and European cities are even better at managing lane discipline, yet my pace was manageable.
Even if I have an accident, it won’t harm me that much.

Country side however, you have steep declines, empty roads & boredom; I am more likely to speed up to 60-80kmph and skid/tumble down.

I can tell you from experience, 30 - 40 Kmph is fast enough to do a lot of damage, even if you were to have a fall all by yourself. Imagine if you were to run into a vehicle at that speed.

1 Like

They have proper infrastructure and the motorists dont tend to try kill them.

4 Likes

I’m actually ugly and short by Danish standards.

Honestly I think it’s because Danish people grow up biking everywhere from a very young age and become very confident cyclists.

Couple that with the fact that 55% of Copenhagen’s population commute to work and school by bike, it means people are very aware of cyclists and we have really safe separated bike infrastructure.

Obviously accidents still happen there and I live in London so I’m probably stupid not to wear a helmet but then I don’t bike here that often.

1 Like

In all honesty, it really is fucking stupid to ride a bike in traffic without a helmet. Doesn’t matter how confident or skilled you are at cycling when some careless twat in a car smashes into you.

My mate’s life was saved because she was wearing a helmet when a lorry smashed into her and her bike. Instead of dying or having serious brain injury, she only lost her leg.

Seriously, if you’re riding a bike on roads, wear a fucking helmet people.

8 Likes

Why would you phrase such a serious thing in a way that made me laugh.

1 Like

:tired_face::tired_face::tired_face:

I’m sorry Jakey I won’t let it happen again

1 Like

You ride a bicycle at 80kph,are you mental??

2 Likes

Road bikes on a decline can go really fast. It may not have 80kmph, but yeah damn I was scared to break until the decline ended.

My thoughts exactly.

I don’t think @Trion comprehends what 80km/h look like on a bike.

1 Like

Just like the Dutch. Even though Amsterdam is massively overcrowded and literally everything drives on our narrow streets in the center, not a single self respecting Dutch being wears a helmet when cycling. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

The proper way to cycle. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The fastest I’ve ever gone is about 65kmph and that was on a very long straight road with a nice gentle downhill slope. Fun but I’ve done it now so it’s out of my system. Watching them come down the Alps in TdF at near 100kmph will always captivate me.

2 Likes

This is how we do it in Denmark :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah we use the bakfiets as well in Holland, but I wanted to share the more uncomfortable ones :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yeah the ones you posted do not look practical or easy to control :joy:

It’s easy for most of us since we are used to it. But the bakfiets has become very hip over the last 5-6 years:

1 Like

Did you ever tried to bank?
It’s a different thrill on a cycle

Gonna have to do something about this soon if people dont stop posting photos in this thread that don’t contain OA members.

We get it, you’re all fucking mental in your countries and don’t care if you bash your brains in, we don’t need it illustrating any further.