Pelé | RIP

Tim Vickery proving himself the best football journalist in the world again on the great mans death.

3 Likes

Tim Vickery is very knowledgeable . I always make a point of listening to his slot on talkSport .

2 Likes

I never watched Pele play live, but I still convincingly know how good he was. Goes to show his greatness. RIP

1 Like

Watch this, guys, this shows how good Pele was

2 Likes

The funeral today. Football came home.

Was it all over the tv news in the UK? Full coverage in Portugal

Not that I seen. The death made a lot of coverage but the funeral hasn’t had much cover.

2 Likes

What do you guys think of this

Wow I am shocked by that tbh. Gutted if players like Cafu, Ronaldo, Rivaldo weren’t there.
Honestly even some PL players I would of expected to have gone.
Neymar for definite I would think would of gone too.

2 Likes

If they’d gone and skipped the que they’d have got the Phil and Holly treatment.

Just seems like some cheap digs to be honest. No right way to grieve and all that too.

For the retired legends and others it does seem odd and a bit sad that they weren’t there can understand those still playing in the top flight across Europe etc, the legends were all over the World Cup in the private seats lapping up the hospitality on offer though.

@shamrockgooner: I’m not sure that would be the sentiment over there and even if you go you don’t really have to jump queues etc but to simply show your face would have been enough. The way it seems to be the vast majority of them not attending is definitely off.

2 Likes

I think the criticism is fair for those who give lessons, especially Kaka as the article suggests, making an all inclusive trip to Qatar with the others wasn’t that difficult in comparison.

1 Like

Yeah too see them go to Qatar and snub Pele isn’t far short of shameful for me.

1 Like

I think very little of it tbh. Each of them will have their own reasons for not going: maybe they were busy, maybe it felt too sad and raw for them, or maybe they knew him personally and didn’t like the bloke all that much.

I obviously don’t know what each of their individual reasons would have been, but without sounding harsh, if most notable Brazilian football figures didn’t attend, that might say more about Pele than it does that large group of individuals.

I will say in the case of Kaka it looks off. If he’s previously given out about a lack of respect shown to national icons then he can reasonably expect to be asked some probing questions right now.

1 Like

Probably not the right time to say it but I’ve read plenty of stories over the years about players not being particularly fond of Pele the person.

And quite a few fans idolise him for his contribution to football but weren’t biggest fan of some of his political ideologies and some of the things that he said.

1 Like

You have said what I wanted to say.

Since the beginning I hated to see these motherfuckers showing in Qatar…

1 Like

Nobody from 2002 and only one player from 94 winning team showed up apparently.

1 Like

Yeah I find it a bit weird especially Brasilian/Portuguese tradition dictates everyone turns up whether invited or not, they love a good funeral

1 Like