Paul Merson

Interesting to note in that video, the linesman is on the “wrong” and opposite side. Haven’t seen that before :thinking:

In that great team that won the league title twice with Graham, he was one of the few flair players we had.
Merson and Rocastle, and possibly Marwood then Limpar on the wing, were the few players that would run at opposition defenders.
Merson also scored great goals and was a key player in the team.

Shame he wasn’t as good for us when he became a pundit.
There seems to be some feeling of resentment against us and, although Wenger kept a lot of that team, he wasn’t one of them.

Admitting he was an alcoholic and drug user probably didn’t help sway Wenger to keep him.

2 Likes

Merse was better than Rocky. Not being controversial or disrespectful but he could play right across the line.
On his day and he had few he was unplayable as effective as Overnarrs and I loved Marc.

4 Likes

Agreed ,
Merson was a very very talented footballer. He had all the skills when he decided to use them. The was no denying the fact he was a fabulous attacking player , sadly Paul didn’t use all that talent and his off the field antics certainly ‘ruined’ what could have been a much more successful career , still one of my top Arsenal players .

3 Likes

I went to my first game as a five year old in 95, but I couldn’t regularly watch football til I got my season ticket in Wenger’s first double winning season, so sadly I don’t have any memory of Merse as an actual Arsenal player. So despite understanding from a young age that he was a bit of a legend and a certified cult hero, when someone mentions him what I sadly think of first is him being a shit pundit who has always seemed to be critical of the club and generally a bit mean spirited towards us.

Its nice reading your posts about Merson on OA because I suspect the majority of the forum are more like me than you old school gooners @InvincibleDB10 @Stroller @Ashgooner1. It’s nice to see a different perspective on him.

5 Likes

First time I came aware of him was a 5 a side tournament at Wembley arena. Use to be shown annually this in midweek on BBC sportsnight program.
Actually had tickets that year and went down to watch.
He stood out even in this as the sort of forward we’d never really had before. Fast and dynamic with a good touch and finish. 89 he was immense especially up to Christmas. Always remember a goal he scored up at Everton in a 3 1 win.
Latched onto a ball in the left wing and left the defence for dead and slotted past the keeper with aplomb. Remember him standing on the terrace wall holding the railings with sheer delight on his face. Scored a great equaliser against Leeds in the cup run of 93 that was an absolute gem.:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

6 Likes

I agree.
He stood out because he was a natural player, with flair, in a team that was quite rigid tactically.
But Graham seemed to let him play to his strengths and it worked for him and us.
Although we were very direct, and the majority of our goals came from set pieces or long balls, when we did play to feet it was Merson and, either Marwood or later, Limpar that supplied Smith upfront.

Like @JakeyBoy said, it’s a shame he has a resentment towards the club and it comes out when he talks about us in the media, especially against Wenger.
As a pundit, Stuart Robson was probably even worse, he didn’t even bother trying to hide the way he felt towards the club.

Do you think it was the sacrificial, typical, “i mean business because I’m the new boss” kinda firing?

I can remember hating Wenger for getting rid of Merse lol

I don’t mind him as a pundit. Their all hit and miss.
I like Stewart Robson as one of my favourites. He exposed Wenger as a coach a lot earlier than most in good constructive way.
Could of been a top player him if not for injury. 80s Wilshire.

2 Likes

I wasn’t alive when he was playing but my old man was a big fan and this is a really great interview:

I think it was more Merson’s attitude.
I know there were several players that were drinking way too much for a professional footballer but with the cocaine as well, I think Wenger wanted to move away from that culture and it was Merson who had to go.

He also had Parlour who was coming good and still young so it was probably a choice between the two and Wenger chose Parlour.

Ferguson had to do this at United. Moved McGrath and Whiteside and kept Robson.
Drinking culture had to be checked as the game moved forward.
Some players got lucky and some didn’t.

You have to wonder if in our case (I know this sentence I’ve quoted is a general statement) , it was less luck and more application to a new way of doing things and a commitment to change. It’s easier said with hindsight, but Parlour looks like someone who was willing to apply himself and get on board with new diets and training regimes etc. Adams, Winterburn and Dixon too (though you don’t hear much about drinking or bad behaviour from the last two). I’m sure Parlour was still Lord of the Sesh, because he’s a good time guy, but he clearly toned it down in a new look squad with a revolutionary manager.

I suspect Merson didn’t do that, because Wenger loves a mercurial talent, and Merson was a baller, much more technically/naturally gifted than Parlour, I’d say.

Edit: just realised it was @InvincibleDB10 who mentioned Parlour and not you, but point stands!

3 Likes

Yea I always thought it was basically that. He didn’t, or couldn’t, toe the line Wenger demanded of him. He played almost 40 games in the one season he played under Wenger (a few will have been for Pat Rice).

I kinda like how Merse wears his heart on his sleeve. When he’s happy, he’s boisterously laughing. When he’s angry, he sulks (like he did at Arsenal towards the end). When he’s sad, it’s poignantly moving (his interview on SSN after Ugo Ehiogu’s passing still resonates with me today)

2 Likes

World cup 98 Merse still had enough about him as a championship player to make the squad.
Scored his pen in the shoot out against Argentina too.

2 Likes

That squad was frigging immense. Not to take the conversation away from Merse, but wasn’t Wrighty in line to lead the line with Shearer before Paul Ince injured him v Liverpool?

1 Like

One year sober. Well done Merse. Glad to see he’s in a better place mentally now

4 Likes

Good to hear tbh. Fair play to the FA for getting involved in this with the FA cup this week.
Recently just found out my son home from uni has some mental illness going on and getting used to the idea.
Going to try and get a post together in a week or so. Just needing a few things to full into place before I try.
Main thing for us is it’s out now and we hopefully find the right path.
People say it’s important for the person suffering to talk. I’m of the opinion it’s important that the parents to do as well.
Sorry if I’ve derailed this.

7 Likes