Nicolas Pépé

Slowly becoming my favourite Arsenal player.

Had a really tough start, but had to adapt to the Premier League and England, in a terrible Emery Arsenal side. Expectations may have been much higher, and other foreign players may have adapted quicker than he did. But it’s different for everybody. I believe his overall numbers aren’t even that bad.

Becoming more important and decisive for us now, his work rate is there, now we need to see a bit more creativity and clinical finishing.

I agree with Arteta:

5 Likes

Why do they refuse to try him on the left with Tierney?
That could be a powerful combination
Looks wasted on the right and has no one backing him up.
Natural left footer, should play on the left so he does not have to cut in to cross

1 Like

I think of him more as an inside forward than a winger, so much threat can come from him cutting inside. He’s our Arjen Robben. I agree though we need a better right-back, doubt we’ll have one anytime soon so gotta hope Cedric will hit the ground running when he’s finally available. Or hope Bellerin recovers form.

2 Likes

We don’t ask the right back to overlap though, but join central midfield. It’s to easy for teams to take Pepe out.

Hes light years away from being an Arjen Robben. Ugh
Just look how often he loses the ball.
With his pace he should be used to stretch defences, get them turned to face their own goal and to get balls in from the goal line.
This would hurt the opposition far more than predictably stopping cutting in and lobbing a ball in.
I’d like him to prove me wrong of course but he looks a 5 goal a season man, not including penalties.
Could be used so much more effectively

1 Like

Basically another 4 letter word beginning with P that AbouCuellar ended up being clueless about

1 Like

Team needs to be built around him, which means having the requisite RB to allow him to play inside more and closer to goal. We’ve seemingly failed on that front already.

His breakout season Lille wasn’t a flash in the pan but we aren’t set up to get the best out of him by a long shot. One thing that bugs me about him is that he needs to be more aggressive, he has the kind of ball dribbling that is a nightmare for defenders but he doesn’t go out every game to end them which is what he needs to do.

He’s had both Luke Shaw and Emerson on toast but backed off when he should have got them booked or more. Some of the ingredients are there for him to be a huge player for us but it’s going to take more tine to acclimatise, he himself stepping up and the right set up and players around him.

2 Likes

This will be his defenders best line. A penalty he didn’t win and a ball dani ceballos stole from him = penalty and assist

Team is built to over crowd the left flank and draw opposition away from pepe so when he gets the ball he can do what he wants, and I think that’s run into blind alleys and over hit passes.

Hes been shit but ill wait until some stability next year and no Emery shite.

2 Likes

He’s starting to learn when to release the ball and when to dribble. Massive improvement.

Massive improvement on what though?
Being utter shite for the first 2/3rds of a season
18 year old Martinelli showed him up for the massive disappointment he is.
For the money I expected a guy tearing teams apart and creating multiple chances per game.
So fed up of waiting for players we buy to show why they were signed.

2 Likes

And ‘knowing when to pass and when to dribble’ is something a £72million signing should have already nailed before arriving.
Guess my issue is the fee. Reckon we paid double what he’s really worth.

1 Like

Hes only 25 can’t wait to see what he’s like in his prime after he’s learnt how to look up :wink:

1 Like

This thread is full of penises who just want to bash the guy. He’s doing fine for a first season in the PL tbh.

6 Likes

This thread is just full of …penises? … who just want to turn a blind eye to how awful he is in open play, so when he scores a few more freekicks people can post in here whilst smelling their own farts…disregarding previous performances telling everyone how right they were.

Shouldn’t be so mean bashing a 72 million quid signing during our worst ever season… shocking

3 Likes

That’s just your fucking opinion.
Opinions are like arseholes. Everybody has one.
Yours in no more valid than anyone else’s prick.
Pepe has been a huge let down compared to what we all thought we were gonna get.
We all know that.

1 Like

Nah dude, don’t have a different opinion what we should do is all just go “good game” and there will be no discussion at all just like Shammy wants it. Who wants discussion on a forum. He scored a penalty ffs

2 Likes

I’ve been disappointed by him but there are so many factors that you can point to for that: adapting to a new country / league, 3 different managers, disjointed midfield, shite RBs to combine with, poor team confidence etc.

I’ll judge him a lot more harshly next season.

I do feel that he just doesn’t get the ball enough, and he doesn’t get it passed to him in the right positions. When he runs at people, he looks really dangerous but our play is so fucking slow that he doesn’t get the chance to often use his best attributes.

3 Likes

Yes spot on

Just because Raul got himself screwed over with that transfer fee that doesn’t mean Pepe shouldn’t be looked at with a more nuanced view. Fact of the matter is that he was a semi-professional not 4 years ago and probably needs to get more time before we blast him.

You should direct that anger/frustration whatever towards Raul for being incompetent.

1 Like

For more than 70m and at an age where he is reaching his peak he really should walk into the PL and hit the ground running.

He’s shown glimpses of being a good player but so have less experienced players in our squad like Saka, Nketiah, Tierney, Martinelli, etc, who cost a lot less and are younger.

Considering he is our biggest signing I’m surprised he has had such an easy ride from supporters.

I still think he’ll come good but he really has got to be more consistent, rather than having the occasional good game.

3 Likes