Nicolas Pépé

Probably so. Who likes to be a square peg in a round hole, even if it’s partly of their own doing? I wish him well.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/XVi145/status/1756825230373187652

https://twitter.com/XVi145/status/1756829742190174421

Good for him. Really thought he was going to be a star after his debut against Liverpool.

Dropping 2021 stats like he did something in this year’s tournament smh.

Still think he wasn’t given a good chance with us.

2 Likes

Why has he included Saka? Engagement merchant

Lol, I didn’t even notice Saka in there. :joy:

1 Like

He got his debut against Newcastle away mate. We won 1-0. Auba goal with a nice cross from Swagland Niles.

2 Likes

This! I felt like he was frozen out of the team because he wasn’t as tactically astute as the academy boys.

Even though he’s classed as a £72m flop — when you compare his numbers to Antony, Sancho et al… he’s not bad & imho, he’s definitely more effective & efficient than Nelson is.

1 Like

Or Eddie.

1 Like

I don’t remember any “effective” Pepe. I remember a player who couldn’t even do the basics right. He had his moments sure but over 90 mins, he was a peripheral figure.

1 Like

How’s he getting on at Trabzonspor?

ezgif-5-430d616589

2 Likes

https://x.com/fabrizioromano/status/1788118526491754838?s=46&t=eJpgg6uHWRsStnASv-OePg

A real shame how his career panned out. I think he was the kind of player who would absolutely have smashed it in a good counter attacking team where his pace and trickery would have been a wonderful asset.

4 Likes

The amount of excuses that used to get made for this guy

Never had the mentality and his technical ability and ball security was beyond suspect

Got found out very quickly and hasn’t amounted to anything since

4 Likes

Pepe was worth 30m at the most, so whoever engineered that transfer conned the club out of the rest.

1 Like

1 Like

He had 50 goal contributions over two seasons in France, with 33 of them coming in one season alone.

You don’t produce those kind of numbers without being an obviously talented player.

He signed to play for a manager that never wanted him and was ultimately never used in a way that favoured his actual talents.

All in all though an awful piece of business for us and I’m so glad we’re far removed from the days of signing players who have no way of fitting into the team

I didn’t say he wasn’t talented but when it’s all put together what you have is a highly flawed player.

Football is littered with former talented players that ultimately don’t amount to much especially when it’s now on you to go out and be the best you can be season after season and improving along the way.

He had the one top season in France which was inflated by penalties

Doesn’t matter where he played it would have ended up the same way, some used to say Klopp would love him. Nope, he would have pulled out his hair transplant with how Pepe played football and couldn’t adapt to basic requirements.

His career has gone the way I’d expected after watching him closely here.

1 Like

Even Lacazette is banging them in back at France lol, no indication of one’s quality by what they do in the French league. Can’t disregard it entirely, but we never should’ve paid anywhere near what we did for that guy.

Certified flop of the decade for us.

That said, if he was in this side he would score a few freekicks lol, we have no good free kick takers in our team.