Nicolas Pépé

:joy::rofl: watch him flop the next couple of game’s. But yeah still time left in the season to show his potential. ngl buzzing from this win.

8 Likes

Great performance, alongside the EL game vs Braga this was probs his best. He needs to maintain this confidence going forward now, no look abck

5 Likes

Fantastic performance from Pepe. It gives the coach selection issues going forward which is a good thing.

3 Likes

Bamboozled!

2 Likes

Thats all he needs to do to become absolutely fucking LETHAL.

Hope this lack of dimmness continues. He has everything else but his decision making with regards to this has been awful many times.

1 Like

This guy has always had skill and poise.

His season last year was a solid B+ for a first year, in a new country, with three managers in one season, and covid.

He has simply not had the opportunities this season; hopefully now we get to see him play in a regular position where he has Saka, Auba, ESR and Partey.

2 Likes

This is the difference between a good player and a great player.
Great players can have a bad match but they still perform at a decent level but if someone like Pepe has a bad game, he’s almost ineffective.

He is obviously a very good player but far too inconsistent.
If he plays as well as he did yesterday, and other games where he has looked top quality, more consistently, then he could be a top PL player but at his age it shouldn’t be happening so infrequently.

I still think he can come good because this season he’s shown he can turn games around with his individual skill but he has to do that more regularly rather than sporadically.

5 Likes

Can’t be consistent with how inconsistently he’s being picked. :arteta: :pepe2:

1 Like

I thought he had a very good game yesterday but it’s down to him to do this pretty much every time he gets a chance if he wants a more regular start.

There was a huge complacency in the squad dating back to the last decade of Wenger.

There needs to be top competition for every place on the pitch and players need to work their socks off every time to justify regular starts. It’s the only way the club goes forwards and those with dubious attitudes need to be shipped out ASAP.

Hope Pepe keeps it going now.

1 Like

This might be his most complete Arsenal performance and made better that it was against a tough opponent away from home.

There’s been a couple of false dawns with Pépé already, but what encouraged me was his overall interaction with team mates - he was part of good attacking phases, often starting them himself and then joining back in with good movement / anticipation.

He looked more part of the team yesterday rather than an individual who is often stranded out wide and double / triple teamed by opponents.

He’s a player who demands the ball and is naturally selfish, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he seemed to put the team first (dogged tracking back, passing the ball to players in better positions, off the ball running etc) which resulted in one of his best performances.

Hopefully he realises this is the only way he will be a big player at Arsenal going forwards. Obviously helped massively that Cedric combined with him and helped create space and options for him.

6 Likes

I think if you take the block of the last ten games he has played he is towards the top of the list in terms of best performers. Some will think that’s not good enough but I think it’s clearly his best run here. Long may it continue.

9 Likes

His confidence & attitude has really change in last few games and that was my criticism about him.

I want a larger sample size but I am excited.

2 Likes

He had a great game that really underlined how important it is for him to play with a fullback who will release the ball to him quickly rather than faffing around on it like Bellerin. I think he also worked hard defensively.

His decision making at times really continues to be a huge problem. Its hard to say whether its selfishness, lack of vision or anticipation, or what. For example, what is doing here? He definitely sees Odegaard, the pass is completely on, yet he plays hero ball. Pause the clip at :05, if he plays the ball across into Odegaard’s path right then, Odegaard is going to have only Soyuncu recovering from the side angle to deal with at most and also will have Laca coming behind him as a trailer. Its honestly a no brainer pass. But instead he just decides to put his head down and try to dribble through two men.

4 Likes

Would love to be proven wrong but stuff like this makes me double down. it’s just so basic and there’s no excuse whatsoever.

Time will tell but we shouldn’t be having such discussions next season, needs to step it up off the back of the Leicester game.

4 Likes

Does make a good point here. Sorry if already posted.

3 Likes

AFTV has never been posted twice here in this forums existence. Haha

4 Likes

May as well add to the hype train.

2 Likes

Under Arteta, Trion Eye test
Saka > Pepe

Only stat that matters

1 Like

Saka’s mainly been played as a left wing back and only recently got starts at right wing. Stats need context.

3 Likes