Nicolas Pépé

Concerning form

Not too worried about his form as this was basically his first start.

What I’m worried about is the fact that he’s not getting any minutes ahead of 32 year old Willian lol

1 Like

I think that’s more on Arteta. As long as we’re keeping Abua on the left I think we’ll continue to see Willian on the wing.

Interesting to see him on the left today.

I think he did really well, was basically behind both of our nearly goal chances. Was a hand full for The Liverpool defence when the ball was being booted over to him. He just looks very rusty, and we don’t really thread enough passes to him, but I’m sure with a good run of games and a better midfield we will start to see him put in better performances.

2 Likes

It’s difficult to judge our attackers performance when most of the time we’re in our own half of the pitch.

Pepe was okay. Nothing spectacular. He showed some glimpses of what he could offer if he played left wing. This is unlikely to happen long term as Arteta prefers Auba down that side.

4 Likes

Cheers Teta mate.

5 Likes

Match winning cameo.

This is the kind of desire which was needed from him.

3 Likes

Hopefully that little taste of his quality is enough to get him starting more matches now.

Has his faults isn’t worth 70 mill but he simply has to be a 1st choice starter when fit.

Absolutely brilliant to watch him when he’s confident and aggressive like today.

2 Likes

Thanks for bailing us out, bro.

But I’m afraid it’s back to the bench with you. You see galaxy brain Basque will revert to terrorism to make sure the resident Instagram model doesn’t get upset.

And if you don’t bail us out again next game, we’ll be back here with the abuse. Thanks.

6 Likes

He will never play to his potential if we don’t play to his strengths it’s just that simple. The guy has the talent but it’s down to Arteta to get the performances out of him and that starts by starting him in.

4 Likes

One thing you need to highlight about Pepe is his goalscoring potential.
Has the pace obviously, movement, control, very good finisher… But the problem is when you play Laca up front and a guy like Auba - who relies on his work off the ball, not doing much witht the ball, on the opposite wing… Pepe is forced to do too much on the ball, and you don’t open space for him to come into those chances.
Playing Auba up front, with an actual winger who dribbles/ takes people on the on the left (whether Saka or Willian) open more space and time for Pepe.
He should be that “secondary” goalscorer of the team behind Auba, not Laca and I fully believe he has the potential to score more goals than Laca.

I don’t want to completely bury Laca, he still has value as a B option in some circumstances, but if Arteta still holds him as an essential part of the starting 11 he’s not the one.

1 Like

Been on a roll since late last season for me. Liked his performance against Leicester and Liverpool too and was the game changer against Sheffield today.

Willian has been poor with the exception of the opener. Arteta better re-evaluate how fair he is with who he starts.

1 Like

What a fucking goal btw. Brilliant. Exactly the kind of thing we signed him for.

4 Likes

Yeah, his signature move (based on his Lille highlights).

1 Like

He was substituted out in the 90th minute vs Belgium… Injury? Does anyone know anything about this as it’s odd to have a 90th minute sub in an international friendly…

His goal against Sheffield is a great example of how we need to utilise him.

With Auba and others drawing players away from Pepe and towards the middle, it creates situations that are very similar to a counter-attack situation.

Pepe then has that space and back-tracking defenders to dribble against. His left foot can then be properly utilized as well as he has the space and defenders occupied by other opportunities/players.

1 Like

Was he even at the match today?

This formation is somehow getting even less out of him and Aubameyang than I thought we’d get.

Meanwhile Osimhen looks like the player we should have bought from Lille.