Next manager

Think Wolves and Leicester have next level ambition with mixed results.
Everton continually get it wrong. Saints and Watford nah.
Trying to hard here. For me I’m sticking with Emery was an okay appointment but nobody seen this level of implosion.
Hindsight a wonderful thing but I feel his time at PSG has impacted on him on a downward spiral.

I think Wolves and Everton haven’t made the right choices necessarily but they have at least made an effort and have done as much as they can by backing the manager in the transfer market.

Leicester seem to have the best board, where there is a mutual respect between them and the supporters and their decision making is decisive and effective.
Compare that to our board who insult, criticise and treat our supporters with contempt.

2 Likes

I mean we are shit now but this is next level pessimism. The Pepe signing alone should give a signal that we are at least efforting to get back to a competitive level. Pepe at the end of May seemed like a guy we could never land and would inevitably end up with those other clubs you mentioned. Pepe might go on to be a bust but we are spending money. Torreira was another highly rated youngster that we stole, and it looks like we uncovered a diamond in Saliba. The effort is there but what we are missing is a top talent evaluator like Sven, maybe Edu will prove to be that. Too early to tell but we invested on some interesting players and I really doubt all that money was just to placate disgruntled fans.

2 Likes

FWIW Everton have the 5th highest net spend last 3 years combined; Wolves the 7th… both aren’t really far off Arsenal spending and make Spurs net spend look silly.

Everton finished 8th last season, Wolves 7th.

The previous year Everton 8th again… Wolves were in Championship, so it stands to reason they would spend a lot b/c that is what teams tend to do the first year they make Prem.

1 Like

Also, to emphasize how f*ing impressive it is, Leicester City are below 10th in terms of net spend in the last 3, 5, and 7 year cohorts…

1 Like

Oh no!! My fantasy of Enrique coming in January has disintegrated

We’re doomed! doomed!

Good.

might get that lamborghini guy :pepe1:

Fonseca it is @SRCJJ ? Adi Hütter?

I’ve been reasonably impressed with his body of work at Roma so far, especially given the injury problems they’ve been facing and the general poor transfer policy.

Sometimes I wonder why I lift up my hopes that a top manager will want to come manage our team. Think our best chance is unearthing another gem of a manager, like we did with Arsene 23 years ago, but then again, I guess I’m lifting my hopes again with such a wish. Absolutely no clue atm whom we’ll bring in next.

Tbh that move makes a lot more sense than taking a high profile high pressure job in England right now for him.

Lolwut?
How did you derive that? Arsenal have got massive pull.
It’s just that our pricks are cheap when it matters, case in point, they thought they pulled a 5D chess move hiring Emery for his wages at the time but it has backfired like a bitch. What’s worse is that they almost renewed his deal in the summer and are now being cheap about firing him too.

1 Like

Exactly my point. No doubt Arsenal are still a big club with a big pull, but that status means nothing if the cheap pricks can’t convince a top manager to take the job to drive the club forward. Say you’re a top businessman and are called to invest into a store, which historically was a big store once, but has been pretty shady lately. Will you willingly give your time and money to the store when you know the other shareholders of the store don’t seem too committed to take the franchise back to it’s previous heights and you also seem more driven than the rest of them? I’ll give it a long hard thought, if I’m honest about it.

1 Like

6m a year. It wasn’t a cheapo move at all.

1 Like

Well yeah the contradictions on here at times is amusing.
We have the non ambitious board taking a cheap option that allegedly Emery was, should then be replaced with his coach Freddie.
Really it’s lower league club outlook.

The board simply have to hire the best possible manager and back him financially.
If they make another mistake, like Emery, then we are going to remain out of the CL and our remaining few decent players will leave.

Only proven, top quality, experienced managers need apply.

Says who?