Next manager

Rodgers has always been a good proactive coach and good with player development. The concerns where defensively that seem better now.
His European record has been a disappointment but if you think of the squad we have now it would be an exciting appointment. Don’t think it’ll happen though.
Not exactly on the Klopp levels of mismanagement but a miss nevertheless by sticking with Unai.

Niko Kovac gets the boot at Bayern. A guy who did the double in his first season.

Goes to show the expectations that different clubs demand.

We are seemingly happy to drive in second gear towards a cliff edge that is still about 5 miles away. Moving inexorably towards the inevitable outcome.

Meanwhile, elite clubs act ruthlessly and proactively even when the results on the field are decent.

We’ve seen more than enough of Emery but the exec are paralysed by indecision and a lack of courage. Make the big call fuckers.

12 Likes

Absolutely. Freddie could struggle. His time with the under 23s was not exactly great. But I think his philosophy would not be pragmatic like Emery’s is and while we will still suck at the back, we might get better going forward. As for making top 4, I do think it will be a struggle but we have the attacking quality to score against any team. So, who knows, we might just be that team that concedes 2 and scores 3.

This is perhaps the predicament that the board are facing too. Maybe they have no options right now but to stick with Emery.:gabriel:

1 Like

I think he had a bad final 4 months or so at Liverpool with his silly mind games, but I think that’s basically the only stand out negative in his past 10 years as a coach.

I was never sure why so many were so strongly against him.

7 Likes

Yup, I like Brendan as a manager

1 Like

You called it back in the day tbf to you.

2 Likes

People turned their nose up at him but the reality is he was relatively a young coach at Liverpool and still is, any coach would find it hugely difficult in losing a player of Surarez’ caliber that the team was built around and he was subsequently given Balotelli to replace him.

Clearly he’s become more wiser since then and it’s paying off hugely with Leicester, he was in my top three to succeed Wenger, it boggles the mind that he was passed over for the likes of Emery.

2 Likes

Yeah Brendan is no elite manager for sure but let’s ask ourselves what was the requirement post Wenger?

Someone to come in, steady the ship, give a shape to our squad & preferrably play attacking style, achieve certain levels and then we move on to a better manager when the squad reaches a certain standard.

This is exactly what Brendan Rodgers achieved at Liverpool and Kloop just enhanced what he was doing.

We needed or still need that sort of transitioning manager.

I would go for Brendan for 2 years and get someone elite to come in.

3 Likes

The only good thing about the board choosing Emery is that at least they will have realised that going for someone who is cheaper and with no experience in the PL is not the way to go.

Tell Rodgers we’ll give you full backing in the transfer market and leave you to do what you’re best at.
I can’t think of anyone else who is more suited to what we need.
He will bring discipline, organisation and won’t tolerate the sort of cowardly, complacent players we’ve accumulated in recent season.

He is a winner and we would never been in a position where players like Xhaka and Mustafi would have been first team players and Championship defensive performances were tolerated for so long, if we had him as manager.

The board won’t do this, they’ll go for the PL equivalent of Emery, like Howe, Wilder or Dyche.

1 Like

I think Rodgers with the right backing could turn arsenal around, the arsenal project should be more attractive than Leicester for sure.

These are the guys I would go for right now(in order):
Mourinho
Howe
Arteta

1 Like

I think our board appointing Emery shows how lazy and how bad their football knowledge is. Looking into Emery without any depth as to what he’s about suggests he’s ok because he somehow won 3 EL titles.

3 Likes

That’s a truly awful list.

3 Likes

Sure mate.

Mourinho as your first pick is akin to waiting in a queue to be given Chlamydia.

When last was it that he demonstrated that he can nurture youth? Be competitive with a squad not geared up to challenge for the title? Play any semblance of attacking football?

Some are just gluttons for punishment.

3 Likes

We need a dislike button on OA.

8 Likes

Is Dragan Stojković any good?

Well he’s a graduate of the famed Nagoya Grampus managerial production line, so that has to help.

2 Likes

He’s been a manager 11 years and spent that whole time in Japan and China so I’m gonna assume he’s not.

1 Like

Quique Setién