Newcastle vs Arsenal (PL) 1-0

We need to win. We’re starting to draw too many games now.

3 draws is already equivalent to losing twice.

Those Spurs and Fulham games. Can’t believe we just gifted them points in those games.

I just hope we are up for this one and don’t put in a limp performance like against Chelsea. Raya will get a strict examination in this one and if he can come out other side unscathed, he would have done well.

I’d obviously love to see a controlled performance from us, but without players like Partey and Jesus, I don’t see that happening. I just hope players like Eddie, Kai, Vieira (assuming the latter two play) show something in this game.

I think we have enough quality in the team to get a result provided we give it a 100% effort and fight. Newcastle will try to bully us, there will be some flashpoints, some incidents where we’ll have to keep calm. We have to show them we are up for it, just like we did last season.

COYG!!

1 Like

Wouldn’t say they’re depleted really.
They still have a strong, balanced starting XI, they’re just short with options from the bench.

Wilson is pretty good backup for Isak, Longstaff usually performs great in the middle, they wont miss Tonali… They will probably miss Botman the most at the back, but Lascseles is ok.

Again, they will just be short of options in the second half when some players maybe drop, but I expect them to be on their top level from the start and we should be ready for it.

Again, the most important thing, and the biggest issue for us is how do we shape our midfield.
Jorginho, Rice and Ode seems like the most obvious option. I think Rice as a box to box option, as a forward ball winner, would be great for us in a game like this. Jorginho had a great game against them at the end of last season, I guess he should be OK too.

No excuses really not to have a good game here, even withouth Jesus and Partey. We still have plenty of options. It’s just up to us and the players to be on their proper level and to perform.

I’d say Bruno, Isak, Botman and Tonali are their four best players. Three are unavailable. This is great news for us.

Wilson has caused us problems before but with Saliba there, he doesn’t bother me.

1 Like

It’s true that Newcastle are without some of their best players, so with us having a better first team than theirs, we really should be getting something out of this game.

As I’ve said before, Howe has done a great job without spending the massive amounts the other big clubs have, so there is an argument that he should be considered one of the best PL managers.

Arteta said it’s possible we may have someone returning from injury after today’s training session.

Not sure if it’s his usual mind games though.

1 Like

Will be a fucking tuff game this. Newcastle attack you Like animals at st. James

They’ll want revenge for that much earlier in the year as well.

Deapite the result, they really were all over us for the first 15-20 minutes I believe.

We did well to absorb that pressure and somewhat lucky as well with them hitting the woodwork and wasting other chances.

Odegaard’s goal against the run of play changed the game.

2 Likes

Do you think there’s a chance Arteta goes White - Saliba - Kiwior - Tomiyasu given how likely it is that Newcastle try to really press us and how fragile Raya has looked at times?

Kiwi, in stead of Gabriel? I don’t see it… Especially against Wilson we could use Gabriel’s presence.

Athough I think it’s still 50-50 between Zinny and Tomi. Zinny is still still quite important in our midfield, no matter how much a better defender Tomi is.
Depends what Arteta sees as a priority here and what’s the main gameplan.
I can remember very well Zinny had a horrible game on st. James Park a few months ago where they were going through him like nothing. Maybe Arteta has that in mind and goes for Tomi now.

2 Likes

No Isak or Botman for them. No Murphy either who was a real threat in our last trip here. Tonali suspended.

They’re missing some of their best players but nevertheless, the intensity is going to be fierce. It will come down to duels and calmness. We have to be ready to fight and leave everything on the pitch.

They could have scored first last season. We rode it out and were ruthless with our own chances. We’ll need to be ruthless again.

The midfield battle will be crucial. Rice will show up of course, but we badly need Ødegaard to stand up, relieve pressure when it’s white hot with a little turn, some trickery to slip out of their press. Jorginho as the third midfielder is fine too, he’s got vast experience and will be more stable with Rice around him.

Really excited for this game. Could be a statement victory.

I reckon we’ll know what the result will be in the first 5 minutes of the game. You can just sense when we’re off it, and if we are, we’ll get bullied into a defeat. I fear this much less these days with Rice in the heart of the team. He doesn’t let teams intimidate or bully. He’s the cunt who does the bullying.

I want 4 centre backs starting this one as we’re going to be defending for much of the game and Newcastle have a number of aerial threats.

The match will be tight and will be won with good substitutions. Bring Zinny on to speed-up our midfield and exploit gaps in the block for the last 30 mins.

2-1, 0-1 at half time. Odegaard daisy-cutter from 30 yards and a cheeky lob over the keeper from Jesus in the second half.

Famous last word but I think Callum Wilson is absolute garbage.

2 Likes

Wilson from Castaway was more of a threat

We already know how this ends Dave.

“Wilson at the double as Newcastle sink lifeless Arsenal 3-0, let’s go to our team back at St. James Park for more coverage of this statement victory!”

:cry::cry:

1 Like

@LukeTheGooner I am your father

Away days Gabriel is a different animal. These games where we have soak pressure are his bread and butter.

He has to start.

1 Like

7 goals in 9 PL games and over half from the bench :face_with_monocle: