Nacho Monreal

I think the bar is just incredibly low.

He was shit, but he was one of the least shit :smile:

1 Like

I’m amazed how many people think he was so consistent last season, 2nd half of the season he was fairly garbage.

4 Likes

Didn’t he end up getting voted #2 player of the season or something?

His crossing was better but he got roasted more so I can see why people might come to different conclusions on him.

On the basis that we will hopefully see a lot more from Kolisinac next season, don’t really see LB as an urgent problem area.

We will need to address this position within the next 12-18 months to replace Nacho (or even upgrade Kolisinac if he doesn’t perform) but more critical positions in the squad need sorting. Buying a new first choice or backup LB doesn’t strike me as a priority / headache we need right now.

1 Like

He was the best among the back 4/5, hence will naturally stand out. He even chipped in with a fair few goals and generally contributed to the attack much more than what we had on the other flank.

We’ll be fine with him in a tweaked system with more emphasis on shape and discipline.

2 Likes

Almost forgot he scored 6 goals for us this season. Even more than Mesut. #underappreciated

2 Likes

Very much a weak link in the team now . Either use him in the League Cup or better still , sell him and recoup some money . Big Kos is a far better player .

Can still remain as CB

Okay… by your theory, Bellerin was MORE shit, because he was supposed to be one of the fastest in the league, but he also got roasted by a lot of average wingers.

If we sell, sell the shitter/shittest first.

Speed was never Nacho’s strength in the beginning.

1 Like

Apparantly we are in talks with Monreal for an extension. I know he is still useful, but not extending these guys (he will be 33 in february) is what makes some sort of natural progression happen.

1 Like

Really depends on terms etc. We should be signing his replacement and keeping him as back up, that’s a perfectly reasonable move.

2 Likes

He is the least of our problem and can still do a good job.

5 Likes

Sums it up.

2 Likes

Monreal is still a decent player and can play very well in two defensive positions as well as scoring a few goals.

The fact that we are talking about him being one of our best defenders shows how far our standards have dropped in that position.

We’ve gone from great defenders like Adams, Bould, Campbell, Keown, Gallas, Gilberto, Cole, Lauren, etc, to Mustafi, Sokratis, Mavraponos, Bellerin and Lichtsteiner and a GK who is way past it.

3 Likes

As long as he is still fit enough to make it up and down that flank then I see no problem at all. Monreal is a technically sound player and one of our most reliable.

3 Likes

Being one of our most reliable isn’t saying much, I’m happy for him to stay on but would prefer to be as a backup LB.

3 Likes

He shouldn’t be first choice LB for us anymore.

He wasn’t that great last season

3 Likes

Hope it’s not too expensive a contract.

You’re always so cheery