Mesut Özil

Yeh I love/d Ozil but he’s actually getting on my tits a little with all these tweets. How about going into Emery’s office and working it out like men instead of these jagged tweets.

8 Likes

This is such a great Tweet as well :joy:

6 Likes
1 Like

I think it’s fucking ludicrous that we’ve got a guy of Özils talents being marginalised to the bench. What purpose does it really serve, we need our best players playing all the time. Whether Emery is looking to fuck him off in the summer or not we need to perform currently with what we’ve got not be pissing around playing silly buggers. Özil clearly wants to be here, so fucking use him whilst he is you bunch of cunts.

7 Likes

I don’t give a shit if he’s allegedly trolling the manager because Emery has been trolling the team by not playing him. He doesn’t have to start every game but he’s got much more to give than some of these muppets that are regularly selected to play ahead of him.

Emery’s not winning any battles by not playing our most creative player in a team that is crying out for creativity.

@Castiel: you’re assuming he hasn’t tried to do this already.

5 Likes

We don’t know what goes on behind the scenes but I’m very certain the notion to get rid of Ozil is a decision being made by more than just Emery.

And for all those crying out for Ozil you’d do well to remember he’s been shit in nearly every single games he’s played this season. Whilst I’m not doubting his quality, there seems to be a real discord between what Emery wants and what Ozil wants.

At 30 and on a long term 350k a week a contract it’s probably more sensible to want to see the back of Ozil at this stage as it would free up a tonne of money in wages and let us start planning for the post Ozil, Sanchez and Ramsey era with a bit more clarity and freedom to be able to move.

6 Likes

Okay, so we want to get rid of this player on these huge wages so I’ll know what we’ll do. We don’t play him thus lowering any value he may still possess and also hinder the team in the process.

I’d rather have Ozil playing nearly shit which is better than the base levels we’ve been seeing from Iwobi, Mhki and the like. We’re playing poverty football out there, even when we see a lot of the ball.

And theres clearly genuine cause for concern with what Emery wants, whatever the hell that is.

4 Likes

I don’t think Ozil has any value to be honest. When he was available for free there wasn’t exactly a queue of clubs after him and that’s probably because clubs are slowly moving away from traditional number 10s and moving towards different football at the moment.

Truth is, I have my concerns about Emery too and I’m dissatisfied with a lot that’s happened this season. But I don’t want to criticise him too harshly until he’s given a fair shake and getting rid of Ozil is probably something most managers would want to do given hi wages don’t match his output.

We wouldn’t get any kind of transfer fee for Ozil and our best bet to get rid of him might even to supplement part of his wage unless he ends up in China. In which case we’d get a transfer fee and he’d get his wages.

1 Like

I’m not even talking about transfer fees, I’m talking about teams wanting to take him period. And I know teams are moving on from traditional #10’s and perhaps Ozil is becoming obselete if he doesn’t adapt his game.

However, it’s not the smartest way to advertise him to potential suitors is it? It’s not like not playing Ozil saves the club significant money. And no one can say the team is all the better with his exclusion in the way it’s been going down.

4 Likes

Apart from Leicester and Burnley at home, Ozil has been poor this season, tbh. We are missing wingers and a good defence more.

2 Likes

I think @ronniec summed it well the other day, I’m not sure Ozil will make a difference, but what we do know is without him we are utter shit and have been the last 2 months, so it’s worth a try.

4 Likes

I get that but if I think conversely not playing him actually glamourises him a bit more and makes the shit performances he was churning out for us a little bit distant in people’s memories.

It’s not been a good season and he’s unlikely to take to Emery so I think if we tried to just play him through it he’s likely to look less attractive to clubs who understand that they’d be making a massive investment.

But I would rather see him play because like had been said, he’s still better than Iwobi in my eyes.

Either way - it’s a shame that the Ozil era is ending this way. I love the guy to bits and he’s probably been my favourite Arsenal player of the last 5 years.

2 Likes

Its got nothing to do with advertising him to potential suitors and what this might be doing to his value is irrelevant. Özil absolutely does not want to leave, he is comfortable in London and on astronomical wages nobody else wanted to give him. Freezing him out is all about trying to make him unhappy and force him to change his mind and leave.

1 Like

Yeah that’s a point I even overlooked in my post. It’s clear the club want Ozil gone because he simply doesn’t represent value for money at this stage and the club evidently need to be more prudent.

I honestly believe in hindsight giving him the £350k was because the club didn’t want the PR disaster of losing two top stars (Sanchez and Ozil) in one season with the looming prospect of Ramsey departing too.

I don’t know if there’s another big club on earth that had 3 players of that quality and value with such little time left to run on their contracts and so much uncertainty surrounding their future.

1 Like
5 Likes

Fair enough Ozil has been slick regarding PR etc.

But you can’t say the club has been fair to him, or slick with the PR aswell. They still haven’t indicated clearly what the situation is, but trot out their mouthpiece Ornstein to say some bollocks about him every so often.

First it’s he was too expensive, then it’s ‘hes not hard-working’ and they want to sell him etc. If any of that was true, what a weird strategy of going about that.

Fact is, Emery has form with pissing off players. Ozil has played under Mourinho, Wenger and Loew and nobody had any major problems with him (main one was a picture he took - something off the field.)

4 Likes

When was the last time he had a proper run of games as opposed to being in and out of the team though?

7 Likes

There’s two levels to this really.

It can be argued whatever the thinking about Ozil at executive level, it is ultimately irrelevant. After all I think its unlikely anybody at executive level has instructed Emery to “Freeze” Ozil out (Even then Ozil hasn’t been frozen out at all imo)

I’m sure Emery didn’t drop Ozil out of the blue for games against Chelsea or City. I’m sure a tactical reason was provided. All this histeria about Ozil is just the manager not fancying Ozil’s overall contribution in certain matches, that’s a separate debate tbh

I think a lot of us on OA can see through the PR spin but there are many many more Arsenal fans who don’t spend their time on message boards or Reddit or Twitter. There are probably more fans who are casually supportive of the club who think that Ozil is a fantastic player who is being frozen out for no reason.

What worries me the most is that Emery has brought his baggage from PSG when it came to dealing with Neymar to this situation. PSG is a weird situation because QIA only care about winning the Champions League and QIA dropped Neymar into the team without clearing it through Emery but it’s pretty clear that Emery didn’t manage Neymar well.

It’s easy to silently back the coach’s play to drop Ozil when you’re winning even if Ozil is a popular member of the squad. The problem is we aren’t winning, aren’t playing to any sort of plan beyond Iwobi going to Sead on the overlap and Ozil is becoming a better player every week he doesn’t play.

2 Likes

Don’t think Emery likes massive players. Shown he couldn’t do it with Neymar and showing he can’t do it again with Özil