Mesut Özil

I was going to say Aubameyang but without Ozil, and the fact he hasn’t had a full season with us, I’m not sure.
If he does the same next season then he could be considered an elite player.
But is an elite player going to hang around if Ozil leaves and we have a midfield with the likes of Iwobi, Torreira, Xhaka, Guendouzi, Suarez and Mkihitayran?

Auby been banging goals for 4 straight years now :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Did he travel to bate?

Don’t think they have left yet have they?

Can we pay them to take Mourinho Mk2 away instead?

Ozil’s our best player and Emery prefers Xhaka FFS

After what Ornstein said about Ozil and the senior management at the club I feel vindicated in my opinions of Özil over the past few years.

Too inconsistent and never hit the levels that were expected of a player of his calibre.

I would be quite happy to sell him but if I’m completely honest I really don’t think there’s much of a market for him.

3 Likes

I think we should have signed Eriksen instead.

(I’m expecting an easy like here)

2 Likes

We should have signed both and Fabregas. Buy all the Wengerball CAMs

I remember i was thinking of that just before spurs got him, he was at the end of his contract available for a really low price, and we needed someone like him. I never understood why we never went for him. And a month or so later, we signed Oezil.

He was only 20 at the time, and a more Wenger kind of signing (younger, cheaper, tons of potential), considering Oezil was already a much more established player.

1 Like

Because no one would have given a fuck if we signed someone from Ajax. Mesut was THE signing. The galatico from Real Madrid that got everyone excited.

Ozil truly divides opinion that’s for sure. He’s helped towards some trophies after our long spell without one, and that one season where he was an absolute assist machine. But I just don’t know how his time or legacy with Arsenal will go down the line. Brilliantly gifted player, but didn’t fully deliver to his full potential? The fact people still discuss nearly 6 years on, whether he’s a truly great player or not says a lot.

I think peak Mesut was around the time we had the likes of Santi and Alexis alongside. He worked well in particular with Alexis.

I guess we don’t know if things have changed in his private life in recent years. Or maybe too much was expected of him to lead so much. Where’s at Madrid, he was simply part of the cog of a well oiled machine, where he wasn’t the main focus in the team, and allowed him to get on and do what he’s best at, and that’s assist.

Could also bit a bit like Mertesacker, where achieving the ambition of the World Cup perhaps changed things and some of the desire for more wasn’t as high as before.

Nonetheless, his signing was a flagship moment for the club, and it felt like some excitement and momemtum was starting to return for Arsenal again, so we’ll always have that.

3 Likes

Since the departure of true WC players like Santi and Alexis, whom did we partner him to?
For whatever reason, Ozil never had the chance to play with Auba in a run of games.

I actually don’t think Alexis was a good partner for him because Alexis off the ball movement was poor

Aubameyang is almost his match made in heaven if we ignore CR7. It’s such a pity they weren’t put together constantly this season.

Baffled me how Wenger overlooked that transfer in the first place. He’s a Wenger CM all day!

Its irrelevant if he doesn’t play…

:unai:

1 Like

Looooooooool

1 Like

I’m expecting a hit piece from his agent at some point before he leaves, whenever that may be.

1 Like

He’s done.

I understood the decision behind trying to lock him into another contract, in a show to everyone that we can kind of keep our big players. But to know that they were almost certainly going to give Arsene the boot is a bit of a gamble.

Certainly they felt confident that such a player could do no wrong, no matter who they picked as manager but my oh my, has this gone pear shaped.

2 Likes

This is Arsenal. Expect the unexpected hah

2 Likes