Mesut Özil

It is unreasonable and illogical to be on a manager’s back who has been with us for only three months and actually has done quite okay with the shower of shite that our team is.

Ozil is a great technically gifted player, but under Wenger and under Mourinho too at Real his attitude was always questionable. That doesn’t come out of the blue.

1 Like

Not that he’s been here long, but why are people saying it’s 3 months when it’s been 6 months ? :thinking:

If we won all matches we’d be champions. If you are expecting Emery to turn this dilapidated squad into champions (or title contenders) at the presence of some of the best footballing sides to have ever competed in the Premier League, you have super unrealistic expectations. Plus don’t forget that this run of form has coincided with two factors: 1st, our squad falling apart to injuries and 2nd, the winter period which Wenger’s squads (let’s not act like this is not a Wenger squad), have been notoriously struggling with - we only play well when it’s warm.

We lost our momentum when our unbeaten run ended, to get back up onto winning ways is a mentality challenge. You don’t build a winner’s mentality over night with a magic wand, especially not with a leader, captain and one of the highest earners in the world at the heart of things who sulks every time the ball is not passed to him and every time he loses the ball and he believes he was fouled but the ref waves play on.

This squad needs change in 3 directions:

1st - personnel
2nd - mentality
3rd - organization, structure and teamwork.

You either let the manager work on that or you keep sulking at every decision like a little girl.

1 Like

Because first 3 months people seemed more than happy and nobody dared complain.

I’ll judge Emery in May lol. But so far we’ve conceded more shots on goal than we’ve in any season in the previous 20 seasons, coupled with less shots on goal ourselves… I’d suggest that doesn’t bode well for the final 16 games.

That wasn’t the point I was getting at :upside_down_face:

And my point is you have to expect we will drop points because we are not a good team, there is a lot broken in this squad and only one player (Ozil) won’t change that, he didn’t before, he won’t now or in the future. We will lose with Ozil in the first 11 too, you are just using his absence to bicker at the manager.

I think you’ve misready @Calum post mate I read it as he’s stating exactly what it is that you’re stating

1 Like

Oh

Apologies then @Calum

1 Like

Freezing him out also puts us in a very weak position selling him. Other clubs now know that we want to sell him and we don’t want a player of his value sat on the bench not match fit.
I think it’s very short sighted of the club and will definitely hurt us in how much money we’ll get for him.

I’m no football manager, but other clubs know how much he’s earning and that we want him off the books, it’s shit like this the club needs to correct in how we deal with the poor value we get when we sell players. For a club of our size it’s extremely pathetic.

For the record, I think Emery should be doing all he can to integrate him into his plans instead of trying to alienate him, what do we stand to gain from losing his quality?

Also in terms of attracting other top talents, are they going to want to come here looking at the team sheet seeing Xhaka and Gendeouzi (sp) or will they want to come here and play alongside world Cup and former Real Madrid player Özil and Co?

3 Likes

I’m of the opinion that he’s actually more valuable not being played than being played and playing poorly. Clubs might look at our recent form as an indication of how important Ozil was to us in our 22 game unbeaten run (even though he wasn’t). If he played through this period and we were losing games he’d go back to being number 1 scapegoat and that just decreases his market value.

Could be completely wrong though obviously. Just a personal opinion I hold.

3 Likes

I don’t think Emery is intent on making us a top club though so I don’t think that really concerns him, he’ll send Ozil packing and bring in some players of the ilk of Banega and Dennis Suarez. Emery is happy with players being high energy merchants even if talent is limited, as long as we’re at the levels of his Sevilla, Valencia teams etc.

1 Like

Unfortunately our ambition for being a top team dissapated a while ago so I fear you’re very correct.

It’s so fucking difficult to accept all of this, I started supporting us the tail end of George Graham’s time with us, seeing the players we’ve had come in and how successful we’ve been in the past is so hard to take. It’s still early days and I’m happy to see what Emery can do but it’s extremely difficult to envisage the club taking any other road other than the one we were taking before Wenger left. I’m just grateful that I got to see us in our “golden era” with the players we’ve had and playing the football we did.

2 Likes

I think you’re probably right, and it’s the main reason Emery was chosen as Wenger’s replacement.

He is more willing to work with efficient, hard working players, than flair players.

He isn’t going to challenge for much more than a top four place but from the board’s point of view it means that we don’t have to spend massive amounts on world class players and their wages.

Isn’t the problem Emery has with Ozil similar to the problems he had at PSG with Neymar and other big name players?

Maybe he is more suited to hard working players than skilful ones and the reason he is managing us.

1 Like

Indeed. Let’s say we didn’t extend Özil, we would have lost him for free and then had to spend £30m - £50m on a replacement plus wages. Whether Özil is worth the money he is on is one thing, but the cost of letting him go and replacing him would have ended up costing us a similar-ish amount (if we went after a quality replacement that is - if we replaced him with a cheap / younger option then clearly we’d have saved money but I dont necessarily agree that would have been the right choice).

5 Likes

How has he done quite okay? The football/perfomances have been pretty awful overall. Not even talking about results. Which is fair enough if you think this season is a waste anyway. But I find it hard to defend the first three months have been ‘quite okay’.

I agree.
To lose Ozil and Sanchez in the same season would have been totally unacceptable.
When Cesc and Nasri both left together, it was made marginally easier when we had thae flurry of panic buys at the end of that transfer window but we also saw a catastrophic and embarrassing start to the season.

After Sanchez left it meant Ozil was our only world class player and to lose him as well, possibly for nothing, would have seen the whole club dragged down to a level we hadn’t seen before.

At least we still have a world class player who is capable of playing at the top level.
All we need is a manager that can motivate him.

I think he is. The thing people maybe don’t get is a lot of that money is us paying him to use his image so that we can flog shit for Emirates and Rwanda. I wouldn’t be surprised if part of the reason we have a good deal lined up with Adidas is the Ozil connection.

I think he’s the #1 social media PL player. After him this squad is very much lacking in “star” players. Aubameyang is maybe known as a very good player but he’s nowhere near as famous, and after him we hardly have a squad that companies are going to queue up to have sell their shit in Asia.

Also that headline figure was “worth up to 350k”, which most likely means some of it is reliant on shit like appearances and assists, and probably some part down to us getting 4th or something (I’m sure I’ve heard of that in our players contracts before).

Also since it was a contract extension and he played hardball, he probably got a chunk of the cash up front as a fee, so it’s really not as simple as Ozil leaves and the club saves £350k in wages, or he’s draining that figure from us every week.

3 Likes

He might not be worth 350k a week but because we let him and Sanchez run down their contracts, we left ourselves in a vulnerable position, like we have with Ramsey.

if true (which it wont be more than likely) at that price point would be a bargain, but shame we couldnt do both