Match Of The Day

Did anyone else see Match Of The Day with Martin Keown choosing his favourite title deciding matches, it’s well worth watching.

He picked the match against Everton, where we won 4-0, and it showed what a top class player Overmars was and how influential he was in that double winning side.

Then he game against Man U, where Ferguson tried to get his players to kick us off the pitch but we still beat them to win the title.

But the last game was when Chelsea came back from 2-0 down to beat spurs so that Leicester were confirmed as the PL winners in a game where spurs completely embarrassed themselves after trying to rough Chelsea up.
I think they got ten yellow cards and were lucky not to have anyone sent off but it was worth it just to see Kane’s face at the end as he was walking off.
I can see why Keown picked it.

3 Likes

Although Chelsea mathematically stopped spurs having a chance of the title it was the draw at home to WBA that blew it for them.
Standard Poch tbh. Opportunity knocks spurs fold.

7 Likes

I just can’t believe we were 8 points behind them with 4 games to go. They effectively finished 3rd in a two horse race :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Lol.

I think the exact same thing happened to Man United in 2012. 8 points ahead with 4 games to go and they lost the title- and they have the cheek to call us and Newcastle bottlers

Like Arsenal aren’t? The biggest choke/joke of that season, for which you are laughing at Spurs for, is still Arsenal.

1 Like

Yeah it is really.

Our biggest choke was 2008. There is no way we should have finished 3rd given where we were at the beginning of Feb.

2003 still hurts too. Silly away results against Blackburn, Villa, Bolton and Liverpool in the second half of the season cost us

2 Likes

Most definitely not. 2008 has some circumstances to justify it (injuries to Rosicky, van Persie and Eduardo, small squad).

In 2016 the title was given to Arsenal on a silver platter. They only needed to bring it home.

2 Likes

Finishing 2nd was still a little annoying though. We finished above Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Spurs and Liverpool and still didn’t win the fucking thing!

1 Like

2003 was a lot worse than 2016.

Anyway, I don’t want to compare our failures. It’s sado-masochism

It’s because we only bought Cech in the summer.

3 Likes

I honestly think that’s probably Wenger’s biggest failing, more so than 07/08.

Leicester were good but we did the double on them, and every other realistic competitor was down and out and we shit the bed and let Rashford become the youngest ever player to score a brace on his PL debut. Total cluster fuck.

7 Likes

It definitely is when you consider our only summer signing was Petr fucking Cech. At that point Wenger wasn’t even trying to build a squad to compete for the title so when it was practically gifted to him of course we choked.

That Welbeck goal still annoys me when I think how hard I celebrated.

2 Likes

Like a slap in the face. Literally one or two more signings would have gotten us over the line.

Was that the season that Giroud went on a 16 game scoring drought?

So painful.

2 Likes

And still we kept Wenger. 🤷

1 Like

I remember going absolutely nuts when Welbeck scored the winner against them in Feb that season too. What a clusterfuck.

The Spurs meltdown at Stamford Bridge was funny though haha!

1 Like

He actually sold it as progress the season after since we came in 2nd. His/our luck ran out when Liverpool came back with Klopp in charge. Gone he was.

1 Like

Presenter Mark Chapman lost his wife at the age of 44. Sad loss that for him and his family. Find him a very likable presenter on football, NFL, Rugby League and Radio.
Doesnt project any sort of ego either.
Really feel for him today. Thats just not right at that age.

1 Like

Ah, that’s sad to learn. Really like him as a presenter, and most presenters are tools these days. His and Ornstein’s podcasts are decent too.

1 Like

Yea was reading about that last night. Really sad, no age at all.

1 Like