Martin Ødegaard (c) (8)

I don’t see what other people seem to see in him. I think he’s timid, doesn’t really have the ability to impose his personality on the game and just seems to kind of keep things ticking.

7 Likes

I mostly agree, to me he’s a typical good time player who when we’re on top looks great cause he can pick out a pass or smash one into the top corner from 20 yards, but when he isn’t doing those things he’s close to invisible. He’s either everywhere or nowhere on a pitch, and I just don’t see him as being what we need and especially for the fees being quoted.

2 Likes

Should we go after Ode? Yes, only within a reasonable price range.
50m, no way and should move forward.
Also don’t waste time on just one target… and hope they are smarter this time and don’t wait till last minute to get a panic buy.

2 Likes

I agree he can coast through games. There’s been plenty of performances that have been decidedly average.

I guess it’s the performance at West Ham that gives me optimism. That was a Cesc in his prime type performance - lifted the whole team and drove us forward.

He seems to have this kind of star quality about him if he can just unlock that consistency / confidence to assert his personality on games. His ceiling is high imo.

But only at the right price. In this kind of market, £30m is the absolute highest I would go. He hasn’t lit up the league for Arsenal since joining and regardless of his name / reputation, Madrid can fuck off if they think we should pay crazy money for him. Still a gamble at £30m and I wouldn’t be jumping for joy if we signed him either.

I still stand that his performance against Brighton was superior.

I think we should move on too, but for other reasons. I really would love to sign him but the new (old) coach at Madrid coming in means they may want to reassess things before sending him out on loan or sanctioning a sale. I have zero confidence that Arsenal would make the first move and make a decisive play for the player. Odds are we’d end up spinning our wheels waiting for Madrid to get organized while other targets are pulled off the board. And to be clear, I’m not even excited about signing a guy like Buendia, but if Madrid are leaving us on read by late July, we just have to move on.

Yeah I don’t think I’m particularly excited about either Buendia or Odegaard to be honest, I mean don’t get me wrong I think Odegaard is a classy player but he just feels like another one of these guys who won’t do enough for us when the game doesn’t suit him. So despite any issues we’d have trying to lure him back from Real this summer, I’m not even sure I’d want to do it based on what he showed in his time here.

1 Like

Sounds like this might be dead.

Please tell me we’re signing this guy and not settling for Fekir. :rofl:

1 Like

Arsenal fans from now on:

2 Likes

Ehm. That has always been the case.

5 Likes

Bar a a couple of games and a few flashes haven’t really seen anything spectacular from this guy. His legend seems to be bigger than himself, definitely wouldn’t be happy paying £50m for him.

6 Likes

30-35 max

2 Likes

Madrid will most likely quote us 60m to start talking.

1 Like

Willian is a Premier League champion, not a Championship champion.

3 Likes

Willian?
Edit: Oh, now I get the joke. :sweat_smile:

Ødegaard has a high ceiling. Issue with him is someone is gonna have to develop him. You all have faith in Mikel to do that? Honestly the season Emi just had in the championship was beast, I don’t think Ødegaard could could come close to replication that even in a weaker league…

Agreed on the second point.
But on the first point, from various reports it looks like Odegaard is fully on board to join us and continue to be coached by Arteta. If that’s the case then surely Odegaard thinks Arteta is the guy to develop him?

Yeah he can think that, doesn’t make it true and if anything his growth will be stunted.

1 Like

Saka done all right under him.

4 Likes