Martin Ødegaard (c) (8)

I believe 100% in the clubs talent identification and transfer movements. After the initial shock of the fee I completely came round to the idea that he’s been targeted for a reason.

2 Likes

We’re far removed from the likes of the Adams rah rah go and down 10 pints after a game type of captaincy

Not a bad choice but not the perfect one either.
Hope he turns into one

:henry2:
Or before, depending on the circumstances.

Expecting a Brexit-style two-footed challenge 3 minutes into the Palace game otherwise he’s the wrong choice.

4 Likes

If he doesn’t have PASHUN, then I will reject him as captain!

He’s basically been doing the job anyway. He has the most communication with the bench and Arteta during games, and clearly understands the tactical approach and passes those messages on on the pitch. That’s about the whole role of a captain these days.

6 Likes

I dont think this is the correct decision at all, but will happily be proved wrong and trust Arteta in his choice.

Who would you have made captain?

I would have reinstated Xhaka and gave us more time to see who grows as a leader more.

I have my doubts on how Odegaard will work this squad when we have a bad run

No matter what I doubt he’d tell fans to fuck off.

2 Likes

I don’t know why people still have feelings about this. What difference has any captain we’ve had in the past 15 years made once they became captain?

1 Like

Having a wrong choice of captain has definitely let us keep our standard low.
Captains like Puyol make sure the players are focused and maintained a high standard.

If there is a role, we have to ensure it is fulfilled by the right person, not someone timid like Koscielny

I think while there is an argument for giving Xhaka a second chance, ultimately it is untenable due to that outburst at Crystal Palace.

We also can’t have a captain prone to getting sent off and making mistake that lead to goals.

Odegaard seems like a much calmer, cooler and collected character who we can rely on to keep his wits about him and de-escalate conflicts on the pitch.

White seems like kind of a fuck-boy but maybe I’m judging a book by its cover. Tomi and Tierney aren’t fit enough to be captain, not sure how good Gabs English is and Ramsdale seems a bit too mental for it as well lol

That leaves Partey (lol), Jesus, Zinchenko, Martinelli and Saka.

Jesus and Zinchenko is new to the team so that’s a no, and Martinelli doesn’t necessarily seem like a leader on the pitch. Saka has enough on his shoulders already without carrying the burden of being captain.

So Odegaard it is.

1 Like

Xhaka is an absolute no no for the armband. I would have given it to Ramsdale or Gabriel.

There are definitely candidates that make as compelling a case as Odegaard.

White/Gabriel would have been my choice if we had to pick one.
Zinchenko is captain of his NT
Jesus looks like a leader on the pitch

I was hoping the midfielder we are going to sign to replace Xhaka was bit of a captain material as well.
We should have waited another season.

I think the real point is that we have been shocking at appointing captains and that’s why it’s not been important for us.

We used to give to our most important player in the hopes of them not leaving and when that didn’t work we gave it to players who spent their tenure as captain on the bench with injuries or age.

The importance of giving the captaincy to someone who is an important part of the team/Locker room and commands respect from the players and management shouldn’t be underestimated. I’m sure many will extol the virtue of captains like Terry, Adams and Gerrard etc.

Every league/CL winning team has a clear cut captain that plays an important part in the team.

1 Like

Like I said white doesn’t really seem like captain material, Gabriel I’m not sure about his English speaking abilities which is important as well. He often makes stupid mistakes which you don’t want in a captain.

Zinchenko and Jesus are the new guys so that doesn’t work.

Odegaard has been the captain of Norway for few years as well.

He’s the most obvious choice.

2 Likes

Odegaard already captains his NT and seems more captain material than the likes of White.

Not sure what the aversion to him is, if he had the build of a wrestler would it make him more viable? Zinchenko just got here and Jesus too, haven’t seen much from the latter that screams captain and he was never one for City.

4 Likes

I think there’s a wrong impression amongst fans that Odegaard is a skinny little softy and too young, which I think is absolutely not the case.

1 Like