Manchester United

He’s done well wherever he’s been though. His track record is really good.

You’re talking about Barcelona where after a decent start it was a steep decline where they were open almost every week and had Messi and Saurez to bail him out.

He’s a cowardly coach and Barcelona were barely organised under him.

1 Like

Yep back to back La Liga titles, but if I recall Real Madrid were weak challengers in those seasons. Also why I’m not 100% sold on Zidane.

Edit: Yep

2017-18

2018-19

He still was the last man to win a La Liga with Barca. And if we’re talking about declines, there isn’t a steeper decline than Barca’s post-Valverde.

In a season where Real were utter garbage and of course he had Messi

As a coach he’s mediocre, let him go there.

I’d say Barcelona’s clownshow with Bartomeu has a lot to do with their decline than Valverde’s excellence.

You know it’s bad when Messi was wanting to leave.

1 Like

Utter garbage yet won the CL.

Yes, utter garbage in the league was my point.

Winning a league title and winning a cup competition are totally different propositions.

So winning the league(which Valverde did twice) is a bigger achievement?

For what is worth, I get your point and I did used to feel the same way back then but Valverde was massively scapegoated for me, especially in hindsight. Barca was in a decline and nobody was gonna stop it. Valverde slowed down the process and won some silverware as well.

For what Man Utd have available, he’ll be a good choice.

I know you need luck in football but those 3x CL’s Madrid won were some of the most fortunate stuff I’ve ever seen. Ronaldo played out of his mind of many of those fixtures. The year they sold Ronaldo then got dicked by Ajax is more of their true quality. But a trophy is a trophy.

Can’t believe Atletico bottled that penalty shootout, damn man.

It’s an achievement, however, the actual coaching on display was not great. They relied on individual brilliance particularly from Messi to power them through whilst the competition was quite poor.

Despite winning those leagues why hasn’t he got another long term gig since? Even now it’s an interim basis they are discussing, they don’t want him longer term.

Says it all really.

I recall seeing an interview of his speaking about his time after Barca and how he fell out of love with football so I can see that playing a reason.
The more you stay out of the game the more your value drops so it’s expected his value isn’t what it used to be.
I honestly think if he gets the job temporarily, it could end up like Ole all over again.

I know some people who watch Barcelona on the regular and even they say they can’t stand Valverde and he is one of the worst managers they’ve had in recent years

My suspicion is that Poch to United and Zidane to PSG is going to happen eventually and its just about the legal wrangling and negotiating by all sides right now to see whether PSG pays off Poch, whether United pays PSG to get him out of there, and of course the contracts of the managers.

All in all, I’m OK with Poch to United. I’d prefer Rodgers, which has the potential for high comedy. But I don’t think Poch has a super high ceiling and my suspicion is that he will have trouble with some of the personalities in the dressing room and getting the players on that roster to play his brand of high intensity football. His one period of success as a manager was with a very young, very athletic team full of players who hadn’t made their careers yet who he trained like hell to be able to wear down their opponents. That’s not United.

3 Likes

Lol fuck that noise.

Head coach is ultimately responsible for results

1 Like

He’s got more smoke for them than he had for Ole.

Talking about Ole “trusted them” :joy:

Whole saga is hilarious

1 Like

Carrick at the wheel. New 3 year contract incoming. siu.

5 Likes

Ole Gunnar atm:

Carragher gets it

9 Likes