Looking to Move out

If you’re buying under English law you’re unfortunately fucked on this if they go to the other buyer. Morally it’s completely wrong by them but legally nothing you can do until you’ve exchanged contracts. It’s a completely rotten thing of them to do.

Had sellers pull out on me twice in my life on the day of exchange- both with cold feet about selling. Lost money on legal and survey costs and told to go sing for it both times. The English system is shit that way. Think it’s better in Scotland where the law is better designed on property purchase.

I’m so sorry to see you’ve been messed around and hope you didn’t lose too much on transaction costs.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply pal. Fortunately in my scenario I haven’t lost a penny as it’s all happened pretty swift in the process before the real work had been undergone. Of course, still frustrated at having to start a new search after a good couple months of looking.

Sorry to hear about your situations too, not a fun way to have lost your money at all (not that there is a good way)! Might very well consider a homebuyers’ protection insurance the next time I get to this stage!

If you only have a verbal agreement in Australia it means jack shit, not sure if it’s fhe same in England.

1 Like

It is.

Gazumping is less common in Scotland than it is in England and Wales. A large proportion of properties in Scotland are sold by solicitor estate agents, bound by Law Society of Scotland rules that are designed to prevent gazumping.

These Law Society of Scotland rules dictate that, where a solicitor has accepted an offer on behalf of their client, they cannot accept another offer from a different party and they must withdraw from acting for their client if the client wishes to negotiate with that new, potential buyer. Of course, nothing stops the seller from switching solicitors in this scenario

I’m in the process of buying a flat aswell. @CliftonGeraldi best of luck in your search.

I had a mortgage offer a month ago then last week I got a phone call saying they pulled the offer as the mortgage advisor shouldn’t have offered me it. Stupid cunt!! Had to go to a broker this time and he got me a good one with Nationwide. Just waiting to sign for it again now hope it goes better this time around :joy:

7 Likes

All the best to you too buddy, hope everything goes well and smoothly. :slightly_smiling_face:

I do agree that the mortgage brokers take away a lot of the hassle which helps.

I can now finally answer the question! :sunglasses:

I will be 27 when I move out. Got the keys to my new flat today. :tada::tada::grin:

I actually own a flat now and have a mortgage to pay each month. This is the first proper adult moment of my life :joy::joy:

Won’t be moving in until March as I need to make livable first tho.

Bought a few beers to celebrate. Heineken if you are interested @JakeyBoy cheers :beers:

25 Likes

Make sure you arrange for Sky/Virgin to be installed on the day you move in. That’s the first thing I did. Couldn’t risk missing an Arsenal defeat :laughing:

Great news bro! You must feel on top of the world!

:beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers:

3 Likes

Nice one Calum. Congrats mate. :beers:

3 Likes

Not gonna get sky until the summer.

I still have BT on my PS4 so I’m just gonna use that then cancel in the summer.

Plus I can watch the Arsenal games on my mum’s sky go until then so I’m sorted haha

Ayyyyy congrats bro :clinking_glasses:

I mean, a mortgage in Scotland must be like twenty quid a month, but congrats nonetheless.

7 Likes

Aww so you still need your mum…

Kidding. We all need our mum.

Congratulations anyway. It is such a good feeling when you move out… until you realise that you have to cook, clean, iron… :laughing:

3 Likes

Mortgage is £157 a month so probably like £20 compared to London :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Pah. That’s more like 12p compared to London.

3 Likes

That’s nothing

Fucking hell.

3 Likes

Say what again?!

2 Likes

Jesus fucking Christ. I had to leave London to buy, I’m out on the Essex coast and my two bed flat still sets me back £500 plus per month, which I felt was brilliant!

4 Likes

That’s my council tax alone. Jeez

2 Likes

how long is the term…150 years?

5 Likes