Lionel Messi 🐐

In what way?

It can open up more Mid season international tournaments.

I noticed some posters mentioned that no country who can’t host a tournament in July should be disqualified.
You are automatically removing entire Asia(fine… some of Asia) out of equation with that statement.
Why shouldn’t world cup be a fair game for any country in the world?

1 Like

When did south Korea / Japan host in 2002 ? :joy:

1 Like

I was talking about countries like India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Singapore etc which get torrential monsoon rains during those months.

Not to speak for Stroller but this world cup is going to necessitate breaking up leagues around the world half way through on the say so of FIFA who are supposed to be the organisation protecting the game. Feels like all bets could be off after this. 39th PL game, CL final in America and stuff like that. Can see it coming back and maybe landing this time.

2 Likes

Yea sucks for them but they definitely shouldn’t move it to try accommodate that. Could make the argument Ireland can’t host it cos of the stadium requirements and that’s unfair. A June/July tournament is the requirement and it’s a shame FIFA didn’t have the balls to strip it when Qatar couldn’t deliver that.

4 Likes

Don’t get me wrong. I prefer it being June/July tournament.
But if a country can justify being the host for the World cup in January which can uplift their economy, especially African countries where there is a genuine love for football, I wish there was a way to accommodate it.

But yeah it’s a logistical nightmare as shown by pandemic this season.
But somehow Qatar ‘deserved’ it.

Lol all Qatar showed was how good at bribing they were. They deserved nothing.

5 Likes

single quote don’t have the same charm as double quotes I guess

Where breaking the usual formats here of Leagues and competitions mid season. This is a great experiment of what is possible during the season.
Possible long term look with expected growth in CL games of getting them in getting games in other parts of the world.
Just gone through a season and a half in European competition without crowds and high television interest. Why not take games elsewhere then in the world with full crowds. Not what I’d want but football has only touched the tip of the iceberg in it’s potential earnings.

3 Likes

I agree with you man and I hate it.

1 Like

i miss when football was a sport and not a way to make money

1 Like

When did that change happen?

Football and money have always been linked but I think the overcommercialization and excess greed kicked in around the 90s and culminated with the introduction of the PL and Sky sports era

3 Likes

Well that is what I was thinking… if you were to pinpoint a moment, you’d probably plump for something like 1992. I was curious as to what Elec said because I’m fairly sure that in 92 he’d have been somewhere in the between “living in his dads sac” and two years old, probably not old enough to remember the glory days when footballers were ordinary blokes who’d go down the pub with the fans after the game lol

I’m 31 and I wouldnt pine for the good old days because I wasn’t around for them lol. All I’ve ever known is football the globalised sport, and generally I’d say I’ve had a pretty good deal.

2 Likes

You where sort of priced out of the match day experience though if I recall rightly though.
Not trying to be a smart arse here btw. Just that I know you loved the game and thats the ultimate experience really.

There’s not been a distinct date but little by little it’s trending that way. Eventually it has reached the threshold.

1 Like

Football is just entertainment to me like other things are. Don’t really care if its about money tbf

Footballers actually had a £20 a week maximum wage up until 1961. Them were the days, when men were men.

1 Like

The Bosman ruling had its fair share in the development too.

1 Like