Laurent Koscielny

Just let him go for free or even tear up his contract. No point holding out for someone to pay for this clown.

Nahh, he should definitely be buying out his contract or another club should be anyway.

We can’t set this standard to others for this sort of thing regardless of who is right and who is wrong.

3 Likes

He should be sold, but for a token fee like £500k or something. Can’t be letting players just decide they don’t have a contract here anymore.

3 Likes

I genuinely think he should be sold for around €10m. He’s the captain of a big football club, an experienced French international with bags of PL and CL experience.

I mean Roma are refusing to part with Dzeko (who is the same age) for less than €20m and he comes with significantly higher wage demands than Koscielny too. Even Parma are holding out for €15m for Gervinho who’s 32 himself and wants higher wages than Kos does.

2 Likes

lol selling him doesn’t set an example. Maybe if he hadn’t bailed on the team trip as the club captain, I would understand selling him. But this is a pretty serious show of disloyalty to the club and the fans as a result.

My issue is that letting this drag on hangs a huge cloud over the club. if he makes 100K/week, then we save 5m over the season anyway. Hanging out for a measly fee from some French club doesn’t show we are tough.

Get rid and show that this behaviour is not acceptable for an Arsenal captain.

Setting the standard will be if you behave like a child and sulk off a team trip when you are the main leader, then we will get rid of you and maintain our values as a club.

1 Like

It’s not a question of market value. I think he’s worth a fee, but not in this instance.

If he wants to leave - he can leave providing a club is willing to pay what Arsenal value him at.

I don’t support letting him leave for free or a nominal fee. Even if we got €8-10m for him that’s an invaluable sum of money given the alleged constraints we’re working under

1 Like

Setting the standard that if you behave like a child in order to get your way we will let you get your way?

Boy, that’ll sure learn all those naughty players.

11 Likes

I can understand the logic in holding out for a fee, but in the context of where we are at and our already soft reputation, I think we need to be tough and not let player power dictate, especially when Koscielny is 33 and all.

Koscielny is the captain but honestly its out of necessity. If our shit captain doesn’t want to take any responsibility for being shit then fuck him.

My view is that getting rid of him is not giving him his way, it’s the club saying that they won’t tolerate players behaving like this.

Like I said, this whole scenario is now just a cloud hanging over the club’s head and it certainly doesn’t make us an attractive place for potential transfers in a competitive market that we don’t compete in already.

You could strip him of his roles and not play him but it just drags the whole thing on.

And yet we will pay him at least 5m anyway over the season anyway, so if he goes now for free then we will definitely save 5m. Whereas we save less each week he remains and there’s no guarantee we get that sort of fee anyway. Clubs know we are weak and they know he wants out. So the financial argument is really not a valid one.

He doesn’t get paid £100k a week though. One of the gripes he has is that his salary is reduced due to the payments made up front in the past.

Okay, let’s say it’s 1/3 of that. Even so it’s an automatic saving of 1.5m. A fee of 8-10 isnt guaranteed and haven’t we been talking about how fees aren’t up front anyway, so we’d only be looking at a couple million difference at the worst if he was bought at a high fee.

If we sell him for 10m tomorrow or even before the end of the window, I’m happy, but the fact that we are disciplining him says we are going to let this drag on and I honestly think a black cloud like this could cost us in the market and ultimately in the table later on.

No one will pay 10m for Koscielny, especially with his injury concerns

2 Likes

How does that make sense? Letting him go for free so he can get the bumper signing on fee and wages he wanted all along while we make nothing and lose probably still our best defender.

We keep him and make him honour his contract or get a decent fee.

Weird, it’s almost like I made it clear in the first line: “My issue is that letting this drag on hangs a huge cloud over the club.”

I don’t disagree with getting a fee generally, but it needs to be done quickly for the above reasons.

I mean Giroud went for ÂŁ20m when slightly younger. So yes we should get ÂŁ7-10m

It’s more his problem that our problem. We can make him train with kids. Allowing a player to bully his way out of a contract can’t be accepted by the club

4 Likes

Exactly, from Arsenal’s point of view we have nothing to lose as the worst has already happened.
Koscileny has no threats left as he’s already refused to train (and presumably play).
No point in letting him go for free, we either keep hold of him as backup (and give him massive fines when he refuses to play), get a decent fee on selling him, or have him buy out his contract.

All of those options are superior to letting him leave for nothing and setting an example to Auba/Laca/Torreira etc that if they get fed up here they can just throw a tantrum and we’ll let them go cheaply.

1 Like

Le professeur has spoken. Stay tuned.