Laurent Koscielny

The difference is the perceived professional conduct you referred.
You have still not answered whether what Arsenal did last season with Ozil was professional or not.

We may be the contrarian but you are a hypocrite calling Koscielny as unprofessional and refusing to acknowledge the unprofessional behaviour of the club; and the hypocrisy of stance fans took in individual cases.

I don’t recognise Emery deciding not to play Ozil as often as our last manager did as being an unprofessional act.

1 Like

Of course it was. It is part of the techniques of a manager to manage his squad to leave players out of the group or benched. That is totally within the politics of a manager-player relationship and there is nothing unprofessional about it, hundreds of top level managers have done so in history and it could be performance related, health and fitness related, tactics related, training and commitment related, or if you are really committed to conspiracy, devising a carefully constructed and complicated plan to drive Ozil out of the club related. And since the manager is the decision maker, the player has to comply with his decisions. A player has no managerial duties and responsibilities and sulking because a player believes that a manager’s methods impede his or the clubs development, is unprofessional. If, IF, Emery wants Ozil out of the club (a notion no one from the club has officially confirmed), you cannot prove in any way or form whether that preceded Ozil’s refusal to conform to Emery’s methods and requirements from the player.

Moreover, you are making a huge overreaction to the game time Emery deterred Ozil from. Ozil played in only 2 games less (24) in the EPL in comparison to how many games he played under Wenger the previous season (26). He started 4 games less than he did under Wenger - (20) vs (24). He was an unused sub 4 times more than under Wenger - (7) to (3) and he was not included in the squad group for reasons other than an injury only once (vs WHU).

Ozil’s goal/assist contribution ratio in away games throughout his whole Arsenal career is 38% (dropping to ~20% in the last two seasons). Incidentally, of the 8 games he was available and Emery didn’t use him, 6 were away.

Make of that what you will, but it is quite insolent of you to call people hypocrites over all of this.

5 Likes

Is it really a conspiracy though? I find it quite dishonest from the posters here who wants to frame it otherwise.

It is really not a professional behaviour if the manager is acting on basis of financial benefits rather than on pitch performance.
Same goes for when Mourinho sent Schweinsteiger to reserve team. If you plan to offer a player the contract, don’t be unprofessional & try to get out of the said contract by underhanded tactics.

I don’t find it insolent to call fans hypocrite in this regards at all. There is an obvious difference in stance based on who benefits with the unprofessional behaviour. Fans react positively or negatively towards any action that is good for the club but that doesn’t mean they are not being a hypocrite.

As for stats, Ozil had multiple injuries in Wenger’s last season and still managed close to 3000 mins.
While in Emery’s season, he played 600 mins less. And plus the stats you showed anyway suggest clearly Emery played him far less than he would have if there was no financial motivation behind not using him.

I agree. But you’ve pulled the suggestion that that is what happened directly from your ass.

Oh yes completely out from my ass. It’s not like we have been discussing this the whole of last season

Literally the definition of conspiracy.

That’s a poll on an internet forum. It has no bearing on the actions of our teams manager.

I have to hand it to OA. Out of any subject of discussion, it always ends with everyone correcting each other about what they really meant. And who they meant, in what time they meant it and how they meant it. :joy: But either way they are wrong :unai:

3 Likes

:arteta::pires2:

You love to see it. Unless you’re hypocrisy immune like Trion of course

2 Likes

Most overrated CB by Arsenal fans. People used to speak about this guy like he was an elite level European CB.

4 Likes

I agree.
He was decent but made t look a lot better than he actually was because he was playing alongside such dross.

1 Like

Yeah, I think that’s basically it. I don’t imagine anyone is putting him up there with the likes of Adams. But in his time with us, we haven’t had much to shout about in terms of CBs. It’s all about context. He’s only rated against those he has been competing for a place against. And for the most part – Per aside perhaps – he probably comes out on top.

2 Likes

I think for him to be truly overrated he’d have to be appearing in all time XI’s or something as equally outrageous.

I’ve seen a few throwaway remarks over the years that he was best in the league or should have been in PL team of the year etc but for the most part I think the majority of us just thought he was the best of a bad bunch over the last 10 years or so.

4 Likes

I certainly felt he was one of the most solid defenders in the PL during his best years and think he would have done a good job for a lot of top sides in Europe on a similar or slightly better level than us.

I dont think he is significantly better overall than what we have now though, which is why we needed to get him the fuck out after his tantrum.

1 Like

Won’t have any of this Kos slander particularly as he essentially played his whole tenure here in a team no structure, defensive nous and under a manager that didn’t have a clue how to best position his team to challenge with a foundation that started with the back four.

Tactics werent worth a damn here and he just went out and played his natural game time after time, you can talk about errors but tell me which CB’s in that era in the PL don’t have bag of embarrasing mistakes in their locker? And plenty of them had the benefit of player under managers that were actually defensively astute.

Sure he didn’t go out on best terms but he was easily one of the most dependable CB’s in the league year in year out for the majority of his time at the club.

3 Likes

He was good. Per was better.

1 Like

Koscielny would have been hailed as one of better CBs in the league for last decade if he was playing for a more stable team.
It’s no coincidence that he was just about the only defender in the whole era that performed consistently.

2 Likes

Koscielny suited our suicide way of defending. We used to leave only two CB’s and maybe a DM/deep playmaker back defending when were in possession. At his peak Kosh was quick, a good intercepter and would always put his body on the line. He wasn’t flawless, but his agility always suited Wenger’s neglegence towards dedending.

3 Likes

And by the same token his lapses of concentration, haphazard positioning would have been exposed in tighter tactical systems.

He was an athletic defender who actually suited Wenger’s system - that I definitely agree with.

1 Like