Kostantinos Mavropanos

I’m not even sure his wages would be an issue. Certainly a figure that any team loaning him could cover. He came from the Greek league with the intention of going into the youth group to begin with, so would put him in the £10-15k a week bracket at the most.

I think we should sell.

But then, knowing our luck, he’ll turn into the next VVD :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I agree with that (about too many defenders on the books) but mavro being out on loan for another season wouldn’t impact on that either way, whereas others still at the club will be.

:grin: That’s why I’m keen to see him feature in the top league in Germany, on loan, before we cut him loose. Knowing our luck Bayern will probably buy him after a year of us selling him.

2 Likes

I’d rather that Arsenal sell him as soon as possible. Avoid having five central defenders next summer (without signings) and still need to get rid of two of those.

1 Like

This is a guy who had 2 starts last season and was binned at half time in both games. Bare in mind against Watford Denney was sent off after ten minutes. :pleading_face:

Sell while stock is high.

This is no Gnabry situation, he’s playing in the 2. Bundesliga

4 Likes

Mustafi and Sokratis will be both be gone by next summer. Luiz probably as well. Feels like a decision needs making about Holding also. That doesn’t leave us with much beyond that.

Granted he had a terrible time of it last season, but then equally he looked impressive in his few games under Wenger (even though he got sent off in one) the season before.

Reason why I’d prefer him to get a loan to the bundesliga and then see where we’re at next summer. Even if he flopped I’m sure there wouldn’t be much difference in what we could get for him between now and then :grin:

Or he could lose form using the term loosely. Get injured again and all the time we pay his wages and then are stuck with him and lose a potential fee for now. He is not worth the gamble.

Yeah, it can go either way (in much the same way as any deal like this). For me personally I think the gamble on him impressing in the top division, meaning a bigger fee or a potential first team player here, outweighs the small fee we’re likely to receive for him this summer.

Speaking of which - what would you settle on as a fair price if you got your way and sold him this summer? I’m thinking we’d probably get £2-4m with a few future clauses included.

Yeah 3 or 4 tops.

True, a solid season in Serie A, La Liga or Bundesliga will raise his value. Specifically because clubs from those leagues have been linked with him before, him having a good spell there will motivate those teams to pay a considerate fee for him.

Tbf, I doubt his wages are high enough to make much of difference.
I say go double or nothing. :man_shrugging:

Time is an issue here, plus Mavro not really showing any signs of worth in his stint here. We need space at CB and with some of the names ahead of him, that even present their own shaky situations too, I think we’re right to sell at this point. We’re not in a position right now where we can consider luxury fantasies that he might come good unfortunately.

2 Likes

I just don’t get why anybody would want to hold onto him for any reason other than just sheer blind optimism. He’s shown us absolutely nothing and now he’s having a decent time in the second division of German football.

7 Likes

He’s 3/4 years older than Saliba and isn’t showing even half the potential. We should set the bar high for young players. Mavropanos isn’t showing signs that he will become a top defender so on that basis I would get rid.

6 Likes

We should do a two for one with Sokratis.

Buy one Greek get another free

2 Likes

Saliba, Mari, Holding and Chambers in summer 2021. Who is going to buy Holding or Chambers right this summer? It appears every cent counts for Arsenal at this point. There is really no need to wait a season longer because Mavropanos might have he good season. He might get injured…