Kieran Tierney (Loan: Real Sociedad)

Clicht was crap, was happy when he left, never felt we lost anything.

We did, considering Gibbs was injured most of the time and we had to play Santos or some CBs there… but Monreal was easily better than him.

Outstanding athlete, decent tecnique.
No brain.

Clichy was at the heart of our collapse at Birmingham, right before captain Gallas sat down at the other end of the pitch.

Mediocre player who spent way too long at Arsenal.

4 Likes

I never ever for a moment had anything against Gallas’ reaction… that’s how I would probably react too.

Clichy also did a great job for the Tottenham comeback in the next season (4-4) we he just gave the ball away for no reason to Jenas.

2 Likes

Monreal was the only decent LB we had after Cole.

With Tierney we replaced Monreal well. We didn’t do that with Cole

4 Likes

I’m still angry about it. I don’t think we’ve had any other captain in the 38 years I’ve been about that would have acted in that manner. He’s a unique type of arsehole is William Gallas.

1 Like

Plus he was wearing number fucking 10. Why was this allowed?!

2 Likes

This is your first step on the road to becoming an old man yelling at clouds. Embrace it.

7 Likes

I thought this since 2007 tbf :joy:

Not a captain’s reaction but from a regular player’s standpoint it’s totally understandable.

He was probably very aware of Clichy’s lack of braincells, training with the guy every day… And when you look at the whole game no wonder he was a BIT emotional.

I’ll always have a guy like Gallas in my team, easy, than a guy like Koscielny. Both looking at their mentality and their football qualities.

1 Like

And the winner is…
Abidal. :mustafi:

Clichy wasn’t a mediocre player. He had an excellent 2006-07 season winning tons of MOM awards

3 Likes

The story goes Wenger didn’t want to burden a young player with the number following Bergkamps retirement. Still shouldn’t have given a defender the number mind :grin:

1 Like

Tierney is the 2nd best LB I’ve seen at Arsenal comfortably after Cashley.

1 Like

He still needs a good consistent run to get on Monreal’s level, but definitely has the tools to do it and overcome him eventually.

Monreal was dependable but he should never have been a fixture in our team for as long as he was.

I remember the season he scored quite a few goals and became more of an attacking threat he was also very vulnerable defensively.

I was always one of his harsher critics for sure. He was never a huge problem area because he was dependable but he’s miles off the overall quality of Tierney.

4 Likes

Can’t agree on this one mate.
I think Monreal was among our best players in 2014/15 and next season or two after that one.
I think he was always overlooked regarding his attacking game. Never a player who would take people on and dribble 1on1, not very pacy… But his movement off the ball, timing of his runs, link up, decision making (attacking wise), etc was elite. Great first touch. Great work rate and stamina (apart his last two years here).
And after the first season and a half where he was lost defensively he sorted himself and got to a very decent defensive level too.

I’ll say also, it’s much much easier to stand out in this team than in that 2015 or 2016 Arsenal. And Monreal was still one of the most consistent players at that time. Tierney still makes mistakes here and there but it’s easier to forget those (compared to Monreal one’s) both because does so much good work but also because the rest of the team (most of them) is so shit/average.

Tierney was injured most of the last season and most of this season he played as a CB, that’s the only reason it’s still hard to put him in a certain place in the Arsenal history of left backs… But, as I said, has the tools to get in front of Monreal comfortably if he just stays fit.

1 Like

I really hated Monreal, had such a weak whiney mentality it pissed me off all the time. Dont have fond memories of him at all.

Most recent memory of it was against rennes under Emery, he was near their box someone lost the ball and he turned around towards the crowd to throw his arms up and moan before realising they were countering and the guy he shouldve had scored. All because hes a little bitch.

Tierney dicks all over him.

1 Like

I’d compare Monreal to Sagna, very solid defenders but kinda whack going forward.

1 Like

I thought Bac in 07/08 was better than anything Nacho offered if we’re comparing those 2.

6 Likes

Bac was solid as a rock one of the best defenders I’ve ever seen at the club, so yeh Nacho isn’t as good as Sagna was just similar styles is all I was saying.

2 Likes