Kieran Tierney (Loan: Real Sociedad)

True. Arsenal should be relatively successful in the coming years so he’ll get more respect for sure.

1 Like

You could argue he’s doing that more with Saka.

Poor kid looked run down in late autumn

1 Like

He’s not world class. He is just a very good player with a great attitude.
The term is over used and irrelevant anyway.

4 Likes

The only player we’ve ever had in that position who was world class was Cole.

Tierney is nowhere near as good as Cole.

2 Likes

Kenny Sansom was also world class…

Can’t say I’ve ever seen him play John, but I’ve heard very good things about him.

Sad state of affairs with him now, isn’t it?

Terrible, but believe me, he was world class…

1 Like

Didn’t he have a fantastic number of England caps, too?

1 Like

We’ve had several top quality LB’s like McNab, Sansom, Winterburn, Cole, Clichy and now Tierney.
He’s not world class yet but at his age, he could become as good as any of those.
A few more players of his quality, with the same winning mentality, and we could start challenging for the title again.
Was he an Emery signing?
If he was, he did a good job.

1 Like

Clichy absolutely doesn’t deserve to be in with they names lol

9 Likes

He has won a PL title with us and Man City and was one of the best LB’s in the league when he went to Man City.
He was also a fairly regular player for France.

1 Like

Is 22 caps from 2008 to 2015 considered regular?

Clichy was often fine, but have to agree he doesn’t belong anywhere near a list containing players like Cole and Winterburn.

2 Likes

I think it speaks volumes about his standing by that point that the summer we lost Fabregas and Nasri was a turning point for us.

If it was the summer we lost Fabregas, Nasri and Cole I’m sure people would be going on about it, the summer we lost Fabregas, Nasri and Clichy, not so much :grin:

1 Like

Was thinking that’s a bit of a stretch as he was very young at the time, but bloody hell he did actually make 12 league appearances that season. I’m guessing most would have been from the bench? :grin:

2 Likes

We’d have a chant in the stands, which was a little tongue in cheek:

#gael clichy, clichy
He’s better than Ash-er-ley
He shoulda been number three
Gael clichy, clichy#

While it’s a bit cheesy, there was an element of truth in it when he first took the reins off Cole. He looked like he slotted in perfectly. The offensive play wasn’t rendered ineffective and he wasn’t really making mistakes at the back. At that point, he too was better than Tierney is now.

After that (probably the Birmingham City game in 07/08 being the turning point) he regressed dramatically. Not as bad as Bellerin, but pretty badly.

1 Like

Clichy v a prime Evra for most of it, only one winner :grin:

2 Likes

I thought exactly tly the same, and when I checked the number of caps he has for France I also checked out the 03/04 stats, was pretty surprised to see he made 12 league appearances, regardless of how many may have been subs.

He’s definitely no Armand Traore :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Here he is in the title celebrations :grin:

1 Like

He was a backup to Cole when he was 18?

That doesn’t count lol