Kieran Tierney (Loan: Real Sociedad)

I don’t want to cancel MOTD. I just don’t see the need for it personally, and in time it will probably disappear as a format.

I think the time’s right to sell Tierney for the reasons above.

Unless we are being offered silly money I’m not sure why we would want to sell either of Tierney or Tomiyasu. Defensive depth has always been a bit of an Achilles heel of ours as a club and our EL campaign has done nothing to make me think we’re deep enough in all positions for a serious CL run.

8 Likes

What’s silly money for Tierney in your opinion?

I’d personally be looking at £40m+ for either. They’re still young enough and good enough that they have something to offer us. Even if that isn’t as first choice

6 Likes

KT appeared to have found that yard of pace thats been missing since his injury

6 Likes

Omg wait until Tucker Carlson finds out @Leper wants to cancel Christmas!

We need strength and depth in the squad. Tierney and Zinny provide that at LB. I still don’t understand anyone who is advocating selling Tierney this summer when we have other positions were we need to strengthen. You are just creating a problem at LB again.

5 Likes

Doubt Tomiyasu goes but for Tierney I’ll probably quote whoever comes in ~40m.

Newcastle are apparently keen on him and they should have the money to get him.

Think the club will respect the player’s wishes too. I know people make fun of City for letting go of Jesus and Zinchenko but ultimately, you can’t keep unhappy players , especially if they’ve made up their minds.

3 Likes

Who says the player is unhappy? He hasn’t been able to play a full season without injury. All there has been so far is speculation. If we strengthen again in the summer, we will have a seriously impressive squad capable of winning. Why wouldn’t he want to stay to be part of that?

Same reason Zinchenko, Sterling and Jesus decided to leave City.

Sometimes being another part in a successful team isn’t enough. Some people want to be a key player of their team.
The club may also decide to cash in on a backup player on high wages and go for an understudy of Zinchenko who’s perhaps more suitable to the role.

The player may want to leave and there have been plenty of stories about interest from Newcastle (ymmv if you think it’s legit interest or just smoke).

And there is an argument to be made that even if you can’t find a leftback backup (say that five times fast) who truly replicates what Zinchenko brings, you can find one that is less of a push and run guy like Tierney is. (And I’m not throwing shade at push and run. I was a very untalented push and run guy when I played. It’s just not how we typically play.)

@GC-Maniac and @Joshua …I get that Tierney may want game time, and get that Arsenal will take that into account if Tierney pushes to leave, but I’m really not convinced he will. The squad is evolving so quickly, and going to Newcastle may get him marginally more game time over the season (if he stays fully fit) but wouldn’t have the chance to win what he could with Arsenal, and still play a large number of games. I love Tierney and I’d be gutted if he left. Played very well today when he came on.

4 Likes

I would sell him because he will surely want to leave.

Was excellent yesterday.

5 Likes

Need to keep him - proper squad depth. With his injuries he can still fulfil his role here ? How old is he btw ?

1 Like

Opened up Twitter to see people praising Tierney’s performance only for him to get injured a minute or so later.

Typical.

1 Like

Was outstanding. Playing out your skin with hardly any club minutes all season. Probably a good chance of tweaking something

I really hope he stays. I love Tierney. I love his passion.

2 Likes

Some run from Tierney although it looks like the Spanish defender is running in concrete boots :joy:

Plays a remarkable amount of minutes for Scotland for a guy that’s so often unavailable for us :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like