Julian Draxler

I agree I think we get Mustafi on deadline day (way too fucking late) and that’s it.

But Lacazette is not that good :pensive:

He’s better than Giroud and much more suited to playing up top for us.

That’s enough.

But he is not a significant upgrade over Giroud.
Sanchez-Giroud-Mahrez
Draxler-Sanchez-Mahrez

would be better than
Sanchez-Lacaz-Mahrez
Sanchez-Giroud-Mahrez

Pipedream expecting any of those three to join but hypothetically if we are gonna sign two out of them, I rather continue with Giroud & solve our wing issues.

Kudos to you for holding on to your optimism for so long but frankly, in the face of such stubbornness as Arsene Wenger, your optimism stood no chance mate.

As for signings, I have long given up hope on us signing anyone of any significance so signing Xhaka in itself is Arsene doing more than what I expected him to do.

1 Like

Just bringing in Mahrez will not make Giroud better, he’s still as limited as ever.

Sanchez, Lacazette, Mahrez or Sanchez, Lacazette, Draxler are better than the combinations with Giroud IMO.

Not like it’s going to happen anyway though.

Fair enough.

In that case, I propose Suarez, Messi and Neymar.

7 Likes

One thing that absolutely gets on my tits about his transfer policy is that he is happy to wait until the very last few days of the window to sign the player(s) we absolutely need.

In some rare circumstances, I acknowledge that a deal might only happen at the last minute but in the vast majority of cases, you can pay 20% extra (please note this is an arbitrary percentage) for the player in June/July but he will be training with the squad and primed for the start of the season.

The damage caused from missing pre-season with your new team mates and the added difficulty of settling into a new country, finding a home etc when the season has already kicked off surely, SURELY outweighs the financial benefits from using this risky brinkmanship tactic where there is also a high chance that you piss off the selling club by being so indecisive/miserly.

Fed up of going into every season still on the market for key squad additions when really, 75% of your transfer business should be done by the time the first PL match is played.

12 Likes

People wants to buy and sell the players like apples and pears at the fruit market.

Draxler is a very good player but he joined a club who is complicated to talk, probably like Lyon with JM Aulàs. If their valutation of the germain winger is around 55/60M pounds, Draxler will remain with the Wolves until a crazy club will not pay the money who Allofs and his board will value good enough.

1 Like

I’ve never really brought into the idea a striker like laca infinitely suits our play better than Giroud. In other people minds they have one undisputed striker that starts every match in my mind there is no undisputed striker. We use one or the other depending on opposition and form

Signing a goal scoring winger is more important than another striker imo.

2 Likes

Yeah saying laca is better than Giroud is just stupid. Wait to see how he adapts to the premier league and if can cope with playing a against a parked bus which is what he’ll see the majority of the time.

When Walcott performed well albeit very briefly that’s as good as we’ve looked in a very long time.

Lacazette would provide the counter attacking threat the likes of Giroud will never provide, he’s a better finisher and can beat his man with very good movement, two feet and dribbling ability.

When we’ve been at our best we’ve had striker that was quick and could finish barring RVP but he was world class so it didn’t matter as much. A goal scoring winger doesn’t improve Giroud and IMO will not take us over the line without the striker to match.

Also what other top team chops and changes strikers for different games? Rarely if at all.

According to the board, they will refuse to sell Draxler until June 2017.

Lol are you new to Wengerball?

Love how every striker that can move quicker than a lamppost apparently can’t play against parked buses according to some.

2 Likes

You say this now? When we’re linked to so many good players?

They said the same thing about De Bruyne last summer and he wasn’t publicly demanding to leave. Everybody says the player isn’t for sale until they get the right price.

Wolfsburg bought Draxler for 34M euro last summer (28.5 pounds at current exchange rates). He had a decent but not great season and has now demanded to be allowed to leave. Even with the market going up overall, I think he gets sold for only 30-35M pounds in the end.

He isn’t getting sold if they go public like this. They’d be committing suicide if they sold him after only one year after he forced his way out. If there ever was ambition, that would be the end of it.

e:/ add to that that they’d be missing out on money if they sold him. Apparently his release clause is at €75m and that’s not what they’d get this summer.

JFC. Is that the benchmark? How many good players were we linked with last summer? How many did we sign?