Jack Wilshere

He just wasn’t that good, at the time we had the belief that (because of Cesc and Cashley and the youth league cup finalists) that we didn’t need to spend as we were a team who was good at churning out and developing world class youngsters (which we wasn’t lol). I’m sure now in hindsight that this narrative was fed to the fans by Wenger and the club.

Guy was always out and about living the life of a super star with out actually being one, smoking, drinking and getting into fights. Could of went to Italy to play for Milan on Loan where he could of picked up a lot of experience and learnt something but instead chose to go to Bournemouth were his mate played and his GF wanted to go. One of the most overhyped youngsters to ever wear the shirt.

5 Likes

I have to agree, especially regarding his odd choices in life and that Bournemouth loan. A player like him could’ve made a impact in a team like Milan at the time.

3 Likes

As a 19 year old though it looked like we had a Iniesta type potential player on our hands. The pacey close control, first touch, technique, passing and movement were all there. He was out for a season after that and never got consistent injury free periods to progress. It was part attitude but his ankles had been so badly injured he was never going to manage to have a top class career

4 Likes

Yes serious injuries, in such a young age, was of course a big contributing factor. But I somehow feel that maybe he could have adjusted his game? He held on to the ball for to long, always got stuck in and got way to many tackles on his feet/ankles. Difference is that a guy like Iniesta knew when to pass the ball on and had a much bigger awareness + a guy like Basquets (who would tackle the shit out of anyone) behind him.

He should have gone to Italy or Spain that would have suited him better. In the end I’m a bit sad he didn’t make it, because he could’ve been a future captain. Still can’t stop thinking he’s a bit daft though :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Not sure I agree on this analysis, he definitely had the talent. He didn’t come close to fulfilling it for a myriad of reasons, which is different than not being very good. I agree we overhyped him up beyond his actual ability however.

At the time during the youth project era, as much as they played great football and such I don’t think fans really related to any of the players in the squad or believed they loved the club (However part of this has to be down to the bottling nature of that team, most of the fans at the time witnessed the Invincibles, fans weren’t going to put up with this kind of weakness). Enter Wilshere and you see where the hype manifested from, romance happens.

1 Like

Wilshere was probably doing what he did at youth level. The fact that he made little or no adjustment at senior level is where I’d argue Wenger could have been a bit more hands-on with his coaching.

1 Like

Wilshere was really good in 10/11. But had to deal with competition when he came back from 12/13 onwards and when the cm spot was up for grabs in 14/15 had those ankle issues and was out for a few months himself. He wasn’t going to get a chance over Xhaka ( :nauseated_face:) or play Ramsey (:nauseated_face:) out of the side at that point. Damaged goods.

@Ocke not sure that is on Wilshere, but rather on how the club deals/dealt with these players. Diaby, Fabregas, Arteta, Ramsey and Cazorla. None of them could stay on the pitch for us a certain point.

1 Like

What they all had in common was less talented opposition players attempting to kick lumps out of them as the only tactic they knew :weary:

2 Likes

This rubbish again. Funny how Alonso, Modric, Hazard, Ronaldo all coped.
Tell a lie long enough. . .

1 Like

Yeah mate, not like we didn’t see our players have their ankles snapped in half :roll_eyes: so yeah, that musta been a lie…

1 Like

Yeah you keep with your agenda mate and conspiracy.
Try the Bermuda Triangle or moon landing when you get bored of the refs picking on us one.

He didn’t say the refs picked on us. He said the opposition sent out their team to kick us into oblivion, which is a verifiable fact

So why would they not do it too other players of skilled ability like named above then?

All probably boils down to his dislike of Wenger that he won’t even admit to the shithouse tactics many of our players had to put up with :grin:

Because it became fashionable to kick us off the park maybe

Or maybe it’s your devotion to Wenger and constant excuse finding for his failings getting in the way of logic.

Bollocks :joy:

Veritable fact.:wink:

I don’t know if they did or didn’t because I don’t watch other teams. But in the 00s when we were the best possession side in the league and because of that we got brutalised due to the oppositions kicking tacticss

What we know is Fergie sent out his team to break Reyes legs. Pulis sent his players out to break our players legs and succeeded. And Diaby’s ankle was totally assassinated. Eduardo got assassinated too.

Can you point out any other PL club who’s got this many leg breaks in the last 20 years?

1 Like

I don’t know how any Arsenal fan, not on a wind up, that’s watched us for the last 20 years could sit there with a straight face and claim our players didn’t have lumps kicked out of them at times :grin: