Investments (Stonks)

:joy: NOK is down!!!

I’m holding…

1 Like

That’s the spirit, hold it to 0% or hold it 1,000%.

Might just take a few years :eyes:

2 Likes

The gaming industry is the one I only keep tabs on, maybe some of the motor industry too. But I’d be willing to invest in any type of market to be honest.

What’s a good platform to use that’s pretty straight forward for a newbie to set up?

Well, I think the motor industry and the gaming industry would be a great place to start. Loads of motor companies are getting into EVs which has huge potential, and gaming/gambling is gaining so much traction currently.

It depends on what you want. Hargreaves Lansdown might be better for long term investments where you aren’t trading super often, as it’s free to use with no monthly fees etc. but it costs £11 per transaction + FX Fees.

If you wanna trade quite regularly, IG might be better as the the transaction fees are lower (£3-£5) but there’s a monthly/quarterly fee of about £25.

Cristo is some mad stonks influencer lol.

3 Likes

Thanks mate. What about apps like eToro? Are they any good?

1 Like

Haha I just want people to feel empowered to take control of their financial future!

I grew up with a dad who taught me this stuff as a young boy, and it so it comes quite naturally to me but I feel very disheartened and disappointed to see so many people feel left behind and uneducated about something that is so important!

I’ve always thought that this kind of thing needs to be taught at GCSE/A-level as it’s way too important not to be. So if me providing some guidance for people on here can help spur people on to get involved, then I’m happy to provide as much advice as I can :slight_smile::slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have some friends who use eToro and they like it because it’s free, but they don’t offer a stocks and shares isa so any gains over £12k will be liable for capital gains tax.

Ah I see. When you say gains over 12k, do you mean accumulative gains over X amount of time, or one stock that goes through the roof?

Damn those transaction fees, for a financial hub, you guys are getting robbed.

1 Like

Wasn’t a criticism mate its cool to see you so interested and knowledgeable on something!

Much better than selling teeth whitening kits and resistance bands

1 Like

I think me and Cristo should set our own agency and undersell them by £5 on all transactions.

Man I dread to think what they pay for their software, website and infrastructure. Though it probably pays for itself in ten minutes with those fees.

1 Like

Exactly none of that paper hands shit with NOK. I do have to laugh at it though everything around it is so positive yet it just trickles red really slowly every day. I still have faith but don’t fancy buying in the dip anymore. Feel like it’s time to set and forget it for a few months maybe focus more on cryptos in the background.

2 Likes

£12k is your annual allowance for capital gains tax, so any gains in a year that is under £12k won’t get taxed.

@Calum

Thanks mate, appreciate it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Right. I always thought Capital Gains was to do with buying and selling property. :man_shrugging:

Nope, you pay it on profits you make. So even businesses pay it after declaring their P&L.

1 Like

It covers that too!

It’s just any profits you make on selling anything basically, as @CliftonGeraldi said, house included!

Unless it’s your primary residence, in which case it doesn’t then.

2 Likes

It’s badically why a local builder always gives you a quote for X amount to fit your new bathroom in, but if you pay in cash he’ll accept 90% of X :joy:

2 Likes

Anyone of you trade with leverage? I have been making some nice gains trading bitcoin with 5-10x leverage. Because this bullmarket is rather predictable

I am strongly against trading with leverage personally. Think it shouldn’t be legal. Hear some horror stories abouy how it ruins people.

3 Likes