How would you change the World Cup?

What about corners?

They could take it in turns and have five attacking players against five defenders.
The attacking side can score until the ball leaves the penalty area.
At least then it’s a team game where there are defenders and attackers, rather than individual players.

You mean it’s the taking part that counts not the winning :grin:

Gave you Jesse Marsch and the art of defensive know how, as seen against City. What more do you want.

Good point.

I’m half and half on golden goals.

If we had them, we wouldn’t have had those great extra times between Brazil-Croatia, Argentina v France and, going further back, Eng v Por in 2004 and even us v Sampdoria in 1995 (the greatest extra time ever)

Having said that, a golden goal puts a frenetic, urgent energy in both teams, see England v Germany in Euro 96. It would put paid to shitty extra times like this year’s FA Cup final

1 Like

When we lost the CwC final to Valencia on pens in 1980, it was the first European final decided that way.
What I subsequently found out on reading a book on the history of the tournament was, we were the only side ever to not lose a game and not lift the trophy.
Just when I was coming to terms with this I find that out and the process statrs all over again.

3 Likes

I often felt like golden goal had the opposite result to that intended, with it not encouraging teams to attack and get a winner but instead sit back and avoid conceding a goal that would immediately end the match in their opponents favour. I dont think we get an extra time period like the recent Argentina vs France WC final if both sides knew that a single goal conceded would mean ultimate defeat.

Bit like how away goals is meant to improve a tie by ensuring teams don’t go away and put ten men behind the ball, but instead it often had the consequence of instead making the home team exceptionally cautious for fear of conceding a damaging away goal.

1 Like

1979/80 season was my introduction to my life long love affair with Arsenal and what a start it was, losing 2 major finals finishing 3rd and still not qualifying for Europe and worse of all Liam Brady leaving for Juventus.
If that wasn’t enough to put a kid off supporting a team nothing is.

1 Like

It would be very time consuming having kick ins imo. Close to the goal it’s like a corner and that means bringing up the central defenders. I would support removing the rules that you have to use 2 hands and throw the ball over your head.

They want a sport that’s more easily commercialized. American fans don’t enjoy all the time outs and ad breaks in baseball, basketball or football but the owners do. It’s got nothing to do with whether Americans would enjoy it more.

1 Like

I’ve been a one man band on this for years. Finally others are joining me. Foul throws should not exist.

2 Likes

@SRCJJ’s suggestion of the ball needing to be played along the floor could resolve this reasonable objection. But as I said, it’s not something I’d advocate strongly for, it’s just the only semi interesting idea in that list, imo ofc.

2 Likes

Lalas is a clown but I really do think they need to explore penalty boxes or sin bins.

Giving a player a yellow card isn’t the deterrent it’s supposed to be because refs are hesitant to produce a second yellow.

Considering we’re moving towards endless of substitutions as well, this might be a good idea. Not sure in what way though.

Another idea that’s been advocated is removing a player or two from each team during extra time. I would be in favour of that.

1 Like

Throwing out ideas now :sweat_smile:

I’ve written this before I know, but I would like a new system regarding penalties (during 90 minutes). If the ball is saved or hits the woodwork, it’s considered ‘dead’ and a goal kick is to follow. Sick and tired of seeing players rushing into the penalty box long before the taker shoots.

Also the penalty taker shouldn’t be allowed to run, stop, run, stop, run, stop in their run up.

2 Likes

:100: this is how it should be.

A penalty kick is the harshest punishment and gives the attacker a huge advantage. If a keeper is able to beat the odds and save it, that should be the end. No rebounds, no extra players rushing into the box and getting a corner.

1 Like

Fair enough. Then they want to Americanise a sport that doesn’t need Americanising

It’s about commercializing it. If you believe that means making it more American than yeah, I guess. But you’re joking if you think American owners are the only ones fully erect over the idea of four 15 minute quarters with additional water breaks at 7 minutes and corner kicks sponsored by Audi.

For someone who spends so much time generalising British footballers and lumping them into passion and Brexit categories you sure don’t seem to like generalisations about Americans

1 Like

Of course I don’t. Because I’m American and have spent my entire football supporting life hearing about how we’re ruining the game. It’s not hard to work out why I’d be hypocritical about it.