Granit Xhaka

It’s harsh but he’s taken us as far as he can at that position. If Vieira isn’t the answer that’s fine too.

I don’t hate the idea of Jorginho at the base and Partey further up.

James Maddison anyone ?

2 Likes

A pass to either and it’s a goal if not a goal chance :man_facepalming:t5:

Can’t believe we had a 3 on 6 and didn’t score lol

That’s a three on three the others are trying to regroup, a good pass cuts out two players instantly, Diaz in no man’s land, walker out of position, and loporte running back towards goal.

lol if he passes to Martinelli, then Dias and Akanji close that space up and if he passes to Eddie then Akanji is in good position to make it a tough angle for a shot at which time Rodri can come across and cover.

Not even saying Xhaka was good but don’t think there’s a near certain goal blown there tbh.

Akanji wasn’t even in the field, Diaz wasn’t sure if should stick with xhaka or follow eddies run and a good pass to martinelli who has the pace to reach it and hit it first time with his favoured foot or lay it back across to Eddie before Laporte can reach him. Xhaka had the options for two simple passes but chose neither one, these are the moments that can cost you and what’s separates us from top teams.

1 Like

Akanji is literally right there in the middle lol Laporte is the one not even on the field

Akanji came after they went 2-1 up he came on for mahrez

Tbf they look very similar.

1 Like

Nah Akanji came on 61st minute. Laporte did not play so it can’t be him lol

Doesn’t change the fact all that was needed was simple pass towards either gabi or Eddie and he failed to do so.

1 Like

I personally don’t think either pass automatically creates a great chance. Eddie is already wide and Akanji could close that angle. Gabi through middle has momentum but two guys who can close the space.

Xhaka should pass to one but it’s not like its some sure thing if he does

1 Like

Nothing is a sure thing, although I’m sure someone has calculated xG based on Martinelli receiving a pass.

The issue is that our attack has gone so dead you could collect life insurance money off it. We’re not even creating great chances.

Early in the season Xhaka absolutely makes that pass but he just looks like he’s reaching his limit physically and it impacts speed of thought and decision making.

In this half of the season xhaka has barely passed to martinelli and that is becoming a problem as our left side has basically become null and void in games.

1 Like

Kicking the ball out of play from that position is unforgivable. He was pretty solid last night though. Him and Jorginho did their job - it was NOdegaard who stunk the joint out by creating nothing and offering no goal threat.

2 Likes

Not good enough
Get rid, should have gone ages ago

something tells me that we will be starting next season with this guy again…we really need to let him go and progress with better midfielders.

Most journalists suggest we’re looking to bring two midfielders in the summer with Rice and Caicedo being of interest. We ain’t blowing that amount of money to warm the bench for Xhaka. He is the weakest link in our strongest XI currently so expect us to upgrade on him.

My opinion, if ESR was fully fit he would be starting ahead of Xhaka right now.

Arteta LOVES Xhaka. He’ll be a starter next season.