George Graham

The Arsenal, mate.

Can’t preach about the class of the club and then tolerate a manager stealing funds from said club :grin: that’s as gutter as it gets

1 Like

Not actually a thing though is it the class thing really is it.
Sir Henry Norris and all that.

Any class we did have is long gone now anyway under the current ownership :weary:

1 Like

:joy::joy:
Stealing money from season ticket holders paying thousands to move to a new stadium, buying shyte players to win the 4th place trophy :joy::joy:
oh , and the Argos single bed duvet
Fuck me , you are a legend son
:heart_eyes::kissing_heart:

1 Like

You said before this cwc win was comparable to the League cup and the new European competition.
It’s clear as day your being cute here and doing it in a slightly different way than others. Seen through you here mate
You’ll keep for another day. I get the game fella. I’ll play. Just don’t think your setting the rules. :grinning:

I really do hate the pissing competition that ensues whenever Graham and Wenger get compared. They were both fucking brilliant and after that it just comes down to a personal preference.

6 Likes

Again, not going to pretend to know too much about it, nor am I going to defend Graham, but wasn’t it a case of

“Thank you for buying Jensen, here’s a sum of money for you in return” ?

What are these odd digs you’re making my way? :grin: Do my comments have you crying into your GG covered duvet set! All very odd :grin:

1 Like

Game on.:grin:

1 Like

Good show :grin:

1 Like

It will be mate.

1 Like

That new one they’ve got kicking off next season. One we’re likely to be playing in.
You can’t say the CWC wasn’t viewed as the lesser of the three euro comps back then, surely?
When fans speak about euro honours for clubs, you very rarely hear our CWC mentioned as a big triumph.

1 Like

All aboard the banter bus

1 Like

Look. If you want to keep believing that Graham worked on a shoe string budget that is fine. I’m just saying that the reasoning has some holes. Who were the most expensive British players at the time and how does that compare to Marwood and Smith f.e.? Which clubs did spend more than us? United is mentioned a couple of times, but were United and Liverpool the only ones? Or was the budget in comparison with the other 22 teams good?

Another example. You start talking about net spend. But the summer when Liverpool bought Barnes and Beardsley for 2.8 million, according to the numbers I can find, they sold Rush for 3.2 to Juventus…

Furthermore the initial discussion was about if teams took players from the lower Leagues. Liverpool did that, as did Arsenal. Further along time they bought a bigger names. As did Arsenal with Ian Wright.

2 Likes

I will agree mostly it was seen as the lesser of the 3.
However the season we won it was very memorable.
Speak to Everton, Spurs, West Ham, Aberdeen or Rangers fans as it being irrelevant.
We go down that road you dismiss everything. Winning relegated Villa and Hull sides would be dismissed but that’s clearly wrong too.
There all cup competitions and campaigns and in the history books and ultimately what makes the club
Why down play success. Doesn’t make any sense.

3 Likes

I feel like this is more a case of the older generation demanding that Graham is too acknowlegded, when truthfully a lot of us youngsters simply don’t know enough about that time too do so.

It’s becoming a discussion because in that search for that acknowledgement Wenger is being torn down a bit, for no good reason. Of course that gets a reaction.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I loved that we won it and the defeat a year later was as painful as any final defeat. I’d want us to win the st Johnston’s paint final like as if we’ve never had success before if somehow we ended up playing in it :grin:

1 Like

This is true. Sheffield Wednesday would loved to have played in the CWC at our expense, for example.

We won the FA Cup on merit and won the subsequent CWC on merit, too

2 Likes

I feel like you’ve more elaborately described a pissing competition. :grin:

3 Likes

I could tell you a story about that :+1:t2:

1 Like