George Graham

Yeah fair. Whelan was Home Farm in Ireland. Steve Nichol Ayr United can be added to them. Back in the 70s Clemence and Keegan Scunthorpe.
Was the market of the day. Phil Neal 4 European cups from Northampton. Good scouting basically.

3 Likes

But don’t you feel that shouldn’t take away from Graham’s greatness? Yeah, Liverpool did it and they were a great side. Graham also did it for Arsenal. It doesn’t make him shit cos Liverpool did it first.

3 Likes

Definitely it should be credited. As we know the money Bond and Atkinson wasted on players was detrimental and lazy by them at City and United.

2 Likes

Football landscape was just different and this was normal at that time I reckon. We’ve examples of Arsenal and Liverpool, but it wouldn’t have been different elsewhere. 22 clubs in the top flight, long before Bosman (harder to move clubs for the actual top flight players since everybody could only move by paying a fees), I reckon youth academies weren’t as extensive as they are now and players stayed local, longer.

People are looking at what happened then with the viewpoint of today. Isn’t really logical.

1 Like

There’s strengths on both arguments tbf. It’s even further on now in the last ten years.

1 Like

A the time Graham came here, Liverpool were buying the best players in the league.
Players like Barnes, Beardsley, Houghton, Aldridge, and others, were all bought to strengthen an already top European club, while we spent almost nothing on strengthening our team.

2 Likes

I really liked Ian Allinson and Perry Groves

Personally I think Perry did a lot more for us than Pepe ever will and just about a 71.95m difference in transfer price!!!

2 Likes

George Graham is like the Star Wars prequels where he was pretty shit but its been so long that the ppl who lived through his time view it through nostalgia glasses and they actually think he was a legend or some shit :joy::joy:. Wenger was the original trilogy and the true masterpiece and the reason anyone actually gives a shit about the franchise besides it being a small local club.

Herbert Chapman on the other hand is like Kurosawa the man that Lucas took his inspiration from.

:joy::joy::joy:

'kin 'ell

2 Likes

Oh fuck.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t describe turning round a mid table team to then go on and win two league titles, an FA Cup, two League Cups and a European title in eight seasons as, “pretty shit,” especially on a shoe string budget like Graham had.

4 Likes

Hehe. Again this denial. Like Arsenal didn’t do anything. Wasn’t David Seaman like the most expensive British goalkeeper at the time of his signing :joy:?

For the record. I do believe Graham is a great manager. Only those really huge names like Ferguson, Paisley, Busby and Shankly actually won (significantly) more than him when you look at it post World War II.

Which makes it even more baffling that he was happy to take hundreds of thousands out of the club’s coffers via the bungs. That could’ve gone a long way towards a new signing

1 Like

What a signing safe hands was. Gave us over a decade service :grin:

1 Like

Better than Schmeichel.

1 Like

Did something Wenger could never do and that’s win a European title. That Parma team was great but Big Weng wouldn’t know anything about them teams because it’s before xG and Twitter stat nerds existed so he doesn’t have any data on them to form his opinion.

3 Likes

Big call mate, as much as I loved safe hands :grin:

I’d say so. Not much between them.

Ferguson bought Schmeichel as the most expensive keeper in the world at the time. Seaman was a bargain in comparison

The one blotch on Wenger’s CV although he did turn us into a force at the very top of European football for 20 years.

1 Like