George Graham

Lost his way in the later years here and bringing in substandard players to top up his bank account at the expense of the club - that would be unforgivable in the eyes of fans at most clubs, nevermind The Arsenal. You might have tolerated that if league success was flowing but by that point we were a fading force in the league and merely a cup team. By the time he was sacked midseason we hadn’t won at home in months.

1 Like

I have a lot to say about this man. Most of it isn’t that pleasant, so I won’t. It’s however human nature to single out and remember the good times. So I’m glad for what he did for the club, despite the ending of his tenure.

1 Like

True we had lost our way in the League at the end of his time here. The cups though were important in his time here. Full strength sides and competing at European level. So lets not play them down that much.
Bung thing isn’t much different than what’s taking place now but it’s legitimised now. Could also give you plenty of examples of teams who purchased players in shady ways at that time. Bottom line is Graham made Arsenal relevant again as a top club after 18 seasons without a title.
Somebody else has to do the exact same thing now as we are coming up to the same amount of time without one due to others failings in that department were we have become as you put it a cup team.

3 Likes

Why, mate, out of interest?

3 Likes

Former players he’s managed have had their say about him through the years. I’m not denying the success he brought to us in anyway, but his man management skills seemed limited. As did his tactics in the end. The transition from tough British style of play, to a more technical tactical future didn’t fare to well on him.

2 Likes

Anelka, Vieira, RVP and Fabregas were all picked from obscurity

2 Likes

They were mate, but I’d imagine there is now a case to be made for us to scour the lower leagues. We’re losing out in a scouting sense across Europe and either getting conned or seemingly lacking in financial muscle.

1 Like

You can’t really make that comparison one on one though. It was a different time. Teams were only allowed to have three foreign players. Scouting was limited to England/UK I would imagine you had to scout the lower leagues. I imagine the gap between the Leagues was also a lot smaller than it is now.

1 Like

I was just going to say Georgie stakes a claim for being Mr Arsenal. You’ve tempered that argument somewhat :joy:

1 Like

Played boring football and stole money from the club. Unforgivable. Twat.

1 Like

Agents get their cut but managers is news to me :grin:

1 Like

Strong rumour that what Georgie did wasn’t too different to what the likes of Terry Venables and Alex Whiskey Breath were doing at the same time. (Accepting cash as a side deal)

It was endemic and Graham was scapegoated (Apparently)

4 Likes

A lot of them were at it, doesn’t excuse GG. Especially when so many hold our club up as a beacon of class :grin:

1 Like

Had to chuckle to myself reading that at the same time as looking at your avi, mate :joy:

1 Like

I felt the bung was a real shame and ruined his legacy although wouldn’t be surprised if we found something on a much larger scale with Rauls dealings at some point.

He got a great deal out of a squad that possibly wasn’t the best and drilled them so well defensively. A massive achievement.

Also made superb signings at good prices including Bould, Dixon, Winterburn, Limpar, Wrightey, Richardson, Smith, Seaman etc (if I remember correctly).

He picked up some great players from lower level teams in the process.

I think he left a great foundation for Wenger too even if in the doldrums towards the end of his time.

6 Likes

Horse head had it coming :grin:

1 Like

I can remember a United fan once trying to tell me that if we liken van Nistelrooy to a horse, it’s inherently racist as many Dutch people have horse like features.

Idiot. Lol.

4 Likes

He was such a snide little fucker :grin: would leave a foot in and then play mr innocent. I’m pretty certain Campbell and Keown had a very real hatred for him :grin:

2 Likes

The 94 Cup Winners Cup is such a massive memory from my childhood, the whole run was special but that final, with Ian Wright suspended and injuries all over the shop, to pull out the 1-0 win over a brilliant Parma team. I even remember Brian Moore on commentary saying “come on Arsenal” at one point.

5 Likes

It’s about time we won another European Trophy , 30 plus years is a long time .
It was a brilliant evening

4 Likes