George Graham

His trophy haul is seriously impressive.

What’s his down points ? The circumstances he left and some modest league table placings ?

1 Like

I think he took a cut of a transfer or something. Not sure the older heads will probably know better, it’s really sad because what he did was rampant at the time, is still rampant and as much a part of the game as anything yet he was the one that got labelled with it and ruined his image and legacy.

He’s still a legend to me even though I was 7 when he left, but my earliest football memories of Arsenal are with him in charge. And having gone back as I’ve gotten older I really appreciate the kind of person he was and the team he built, and the foundation he left for Wenger.

2 Likes

From the looks of it his imposing disciplined style of play. Which was necessary when he arrived to turn the club around. Probably got out of hand during his later years. His last seasons we finished 4th, 10th, 4th we actually had very respectable defensive records but couldn’t score goals worth a damn. When we finished 10th we had the 2nd best defensive record but was 20th when it came to goals.

Overreliance on Ian Wright during those times probably suggest recruitment wasn’t the best during those years.

That said it was still effective when it came to cup competitions. Cup double. Cup Winner’s Cup and a Final the following season. So you can argue he was still delivering when it came to it all in all.

That’s my thesis. I’ll let the old heads speak with authority on this subject.

3 Likes

Kinda shows why Wrighty was quite possibly the best striker we ever had.

4 Likes

Love me some Wrighty. Still was banging them in at 33-34 years old. Absolute boss.

4 Likes

All this and basically tactics not evolving. Plus the drinking culture took its toll.
He should be remembered though for breaking Liverpool dominance of English football.
Always worth remembering we won 89 on goal difference. Merest of margins but that Liverpool side in 88 is one of the best in there fans history.

4 Likes

Nobody ever wanted it more than Wrighty. Always makes me wonder with his background and nobody to take him an academy if he was young now, what happens.
How many kids in that situation not getting a chance.

6 Likes

It’s why I love Vards at Leicester, Strolls. So much of what he’s doing at Leicester reminds me of Wrighty. The trophy haul, the way he’s brought himself up through the ranks, the sheer enjoyment he gets from goals.

4 Likes

Yeah not made enough of the Vardy story. Also makes you wonder there must be others down there.

5 Likes

Fuck you Simon Greenberg you cunt.

1 Like

Harsh given he’s dead and was just doing his job. Wish we had more journos out there interested in
exposing football corruption.

3 Likes

My bad didn’t know he was dead was just lashing out without thinking really but in all honestly Sham most of the top clubs are steeped in some form of corruption one way or the other, at this point we need to find the very few who aren’t. I just assume everything that happens now is dodgy.

1 Like

Totally agree mate, it’s all absolutely steeped in shite and corruption.

3 Likes

:joy::joy: ffs

3 Likes

Always remember Kate fucking Hoey getting involved in this.
Full of moral indignation and giving interviews to the Daily Mirror.
Pity fake reasons for wars on WMD didn’t fucking trigger the same response from her.

4 Likes
5 Likes

#number 1 is Perry Groves
Number 2 is Perry Groves…#

Etc etc :grin:

3 Likes

He also bought Allinson from Colchester for about 50k.
Two decent players that we bought for less than the the 200k a week Xhaka earns.

For anyone who hasn’t read it, Groves book is brilliant.

5 Likes

Found this stat quite surprising