General News

As long as they are being taken care of, who gives a fuck.

1 Like

I guess these were two different perspectives. I could see myself being persuaded to loan the object; I could also be persuaded to simply refuse out of hand.

Not unfair. If Egypt sent me - hypothetical head of the British Museum - a request for repatriation - Iā€™d probably chuck it in the bin.

Iā€™d be more inclined to consider it, definitely. But it would be case by case, depending on how each object was acquired.

Iā€™m not sure how relevant this all is. It feels a bit like a postmodern text that leaves me incapable of deciding anything, except feeling overwhelmed. Thinking this way, Iā€™d probably decide to bulldoze the museum out of existential guilt. Morally, I might feel a bit better, but Britain would be culturally less rich and Iā€™d wake up a few years from now to find out that half the returned treasures have been either lost, broken or wilfully destroyed or sold off to private owners by regimes who actually never cared at all about the objects.

Iā€™d probably not like it, if it was a really precious object, like stone henge or something. If we had the political clout weā€™d get it back; if not, weā€™d have to suck it up or try and negotiate for it in some way.

Yeah but most of those objects no one cares about. Weā€™ve also sold loads of unwanted objects, principally to the USA. Iā€™d be fine with redistributing the clutter; I donā€™t know enough about it to know if there has been any real desire from other museums to acquire it. Iā€™m not against returning objects outright. Just wanted to say that. I mean England only returned the Scone of Scotland to Scotland in 1996, and it was right to do so. Scotland is a friend, they will take care of it and we took that from them in actual straight up conquest.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll come to your house and rob your laptop or tablet or whatever you use to post on this forum.

Iā€™ll take it back to my house, use screen wipes to make sure itā€™s free from dust and make sure not to over charge it so the battery lasts.

I guess you wouldnā€™t give a fuck - whatā€™s your address mate?

6 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure if I find a Ā£10 on the floor itā€™s mine do what I want with it. Who did any of those artifacts belong to before the English dug it up or won as spoils of war? If my history is correct many nations plundered and looted each other as victors. All this moral brow beating and virtue signaling canā€™t change that fact. Britain was just better at winning now the loser want they shit back. I say ā€œfuck off should of won that war mateā€

Legions of bored kids would be delighted that backpack Dad couldnā€™t go the British museum and dragged away from there gaming device because a bit of brickwork has gone overseas.

There are hundreds, thousands of things in the British Museum more interesting than that stone.

Your analogy isnā€™t applicable.

It would be more accurate if youā€™d wondered into your neighbourā€™s back garden and found the tenner there. If you claimed that, thereā€™s this thing called stealing. Itā€™s not cool.

Just because it happened 300 years ago or whatever, doesnā€™t make it right lol.

If a gang of thieves break into your home with assault rifles and nick all your shit, would you be okay with that? Because theyā€™re stronger, and thereā€™s nothing you can do about so itā€™s fine? What am I even reading here

3 Likes

Again what you are doing is applying modern morality on a era where it is not applicable. Again everyone was doing as was the way of times gone by

We gave back India despite winning it fair and square by the rules of the game in times gone by. Gave up our slaves too, all that GDP thrown away FFS.

Maybe Egypt should get themselves a better army and march on London. Itā€™s the only fair way to settle these things.

3 Likes

How about you look at in reverse, do you think of they had some artefacts from our country on anybody elseā€™s doe you think theyā€™d give backā€¦.

If they want it back shouldnā€™t they compensate the families of the archaeologist the spent money digging them up, after all the Egyptians did care enough to spend their own money to dig it up.

This is the double standards of this age; these guys a well aware there is a section of the country that hates it enough to destroy it from within.

The British came to the consensus that it was evil, and forced the rest of the world to comply, should they be allowed to start slavery again?

This is how I know youā€™re a ten year old.

Well you would have taken it from someone who is long dead, not me.

Doesnā€™t explain why Britain continues to hold onto stolen cultural items in our own day and age.

:joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Hmm, the pessimist in me thinks that Ringo is in a worse state of health than reported. COVID has been lingering for quite a while with him.

Wishing him a speedy recovery. Absolute legend

2 Likes

8 Likes

Weirdos. Hope they got done for it

1 Like

They canā€™t even both bothered to get a tin of campbellā€™s ?

Theyā€™ve missed out on some delicious irony there

9 Likes

Iā€™d say life isnā€™t worth living without art and also tell the stupid bitch that protecting the planet doesnā€™t include buying chemicals made in a processing plant to change the colour of your hair. Food banks could have done with the soup too.

3 Likes

Yea theyā€™re weirdos but hopefully throwing soup at a glass screen isnā€™t a criminal offence.

1 Like