General News

We need a Labour government to tank the Housing market.

4 Likes

Boomers will still hammer you about interest rates @JakeyBoy

1 Like

You sound like one too :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So many people (here anyway) of that generation are bitter because they banked thier retirement funds on a second property on interest only mortgages and itā€™s nearly 15 years after the crash and they are still in negative equity with no hope of ever seeing money for that investment. I was a social welfare inspector for a few years early 2010ā€™s and the amount of pensioners I met with second properties was simply staggering.

Thereā€™s obviously bad lending practices and lots of other bits that went into all this taking place but I met so so many bitter people in that age group at that time.

At the end of the day it was greed and there are no doubt plenty of them who managed to hold on to those properties and are now absolutely fleecing people on rent but everything about the system that allowed it was wrong. Iā€™m so lucky I got my house in the way I did even if I can also look at what happened a few years later and think that if Iā€™d held out Iā€™d have gotten a much better deal a few years laterā€¦at the end of the day who gives a fuck about that. I have a nice, well built house that I will likely be mortgage free on a few years before retirement. Iā€™m so lucky and I feel bad for people having to deal with the housing market as it exists now. Everything about it is anti buyer and itā€™s so wrong.

2 Likes

Itā€™s true things are more expensive but most things are a lot cheaper.
A pair of Levi jeans around forty years ago were more than Ā£40 and a TV fifty years ago was about Ā£300, which had three channels and a rubbish picture.

Itā€™s also true that there was no internet or mobile phones but having no mobile meant you had to be indoors to speak to someone on the phone.

As for not having the internet, for the small price it costs, compared to things like having no online shopping and having to go to a shop to buy music, is not much to pay.
Or having a constant stream of entertainment at your finger tips rather than making your own entertainment.

Imagine being at school and having to go to a library every time you needed some information
rather than Googling it or having to go and get a dictionary to find out the meaning of a word or how spell it.

Youā€™ll realise that, as you get older, it really is a lot easier now than it was and people are far better off.

This is very true and has always been the same.
Everyone thinks that they know more than the older generation but that they are also wiser than than the younger generation. :grinning:

2 Likes

Oh most definitely I much prefer what we have than any other generation but it is only the housing market where I really curse our luck.

I asked my father how he would search for new jobs and I truly start appreciating internet a lot more.

Itā€™s true that getting on the housing market is difficult but it was also like that in the generation before. When people got married and bought a house, they had very little money for going out or even buying a take away.

Thereā€™s more of an expectation among younger people now, of wanting things but not having to wait for them.
People used to think of having a phone or TV as a luxury, but now itā€™s considered the bare minimum.

Also interest rates were extremely high and itā€™s only when they came down that prices went up.
Itā€™s just economics.
If there are buyers, which there must be, then the prices will be high but if demand goes down, so will the prices.

I mean, look at the chart I posted. Itā€™s not that young people expect everything on a platter, itā€™s just that they think they have a raw deal when it comes to the cost of property versus their wages. Its a totally legitimate grievance lol. You could maybe just let them have that one?

1 Like

But itā€™s always been the same.

A raw deal is having a house but working long hours, with no spending money, very little holiday and no luxuries, which is what every working class person used to have.

The difference is that young people now want a house but donā€™t want to go without the luxuries they have to be able to pay for it.

1 Like

Younger people definitely get a more raw deal on renting now.
Lack of council housing and shyster landlords answerable to nobody by and large is a national scandal.

5 Likes

I certainly agree with that.
A lack of council housing and rich people buying to let is the main reason thereā€™s a housing shortage.

3 Likes

The graph literally says the exact opposite though, doesnā€™t it? Things quite literally have not always been the same, thatā€™s the precise point being made lol

1 Like

The house prices have gone up in relation to wages but other factors like massive interest rates, as things costing more in the past, donā€™t seem to be taken into consideration.

My original point was about there being more expenses now and people needing a phone, internet, fuel, etc.
But really things are cheaper now, with luxuries costing a fraction of what they used to and people are a lot better off work wise., with better pay, holidays and conditions.

Think you have access to more with credit cards etc but in terms of what you actually own isnā€™t as much in some ways.

I agree.
I think people tend to buy more stuff now, that they get bored with very quickly.
I know loads of people who buy things with a credit card, that they then donā€™t use, then throw away, and theyā€™re still paying for it.

What things are these which offsets the ambition of owning a home?

Source: trust me bro

1 Like

As I said before, thereā€™s more of an expectation among younger people now, of wanting things but not having to wait for them.
Things like having a phone or TV or eating out was a luxury, but now itā€™s considered the bare minimum.

Some people will spend Ā£50 a week on coffee or getting their nails done, then moan they canā€™t afford to buy a house.
Itā€™s simple economics.
If you want something, then in order to pay for it, you have to save and go without something else.

Itā€™s too much for us.

If I have a house loan on me, I canā€™t even go one month without income. If I lose my job, I would get royally fucked.

Mortgage of a 1BHK in Mumbai would consume 50-60% of my monthly income and I would be left with nothing to make a saving & built a rainy day fund.

One of my friend has seen a guy cry in public because he lost his job and he didnā€™t know what to do for next monthā€™s installment.

I can get more space, more rooms, a parking spot on rent for 1/4th the installment. I can spend the rest of money in Mutual funds and gold, and I could withdraw more money.

Itā€™s not just about younger generation wanting more comfort but it also makes financial sense to not buy a home.

IDB10 I do love that youā€™ve literally proved the point of the meme :joy:

3 Likes