General News

I’m sceptical as to the benefits to wider humanity, it’s just mastubatory billionaire behaviour imo lol

8 Likes

The town I live in is right by the sea and it’s a big peninsula. The boating live here is huge! Yet every year I see families out in small boats, neither them or their kids wearing life jackets and speeding in between small islands and unmarked reefs. 7-8 people drown off this coast every year, most of the cases are avoidable and related to lack of knowledge and absence of safety gear. Alcohol is often involved too. People need to have more respect.

4 Likes

I think people think that Star Wars is our future. I don’t know who is going to take the intermediary steps to get us to Hoth and back, but I imagine it will never be useful enough for the private sector to tackle it alone, or at least not without centuries of state investment first. The state put people on the moon 50 years ago (allegedly :ozil: ), and the private sector have just got to the point where they can put a few people in zero gravity for a few minutes?

Basically Bezos Inc and the like are never going to make the innovations needed to make any of the kind of progress to push us towards space exploration, IMO, so things like this are most likely just theme park rides for rich folk. You might get the odd nice bit of tech out of it but I can’t see the profit motive being there to do anything really transformative.

This would be cool if I was under 22 or used a bus :joy:

4 Likes

This. Instead of having a profound experience of enlightenment and doing something that actually benefits humanity the cunt Bezos immediately thinks about how he can exploit space in order put more factories up there.

5 Likes

I get what you guys are saying but innovation when it comes to space will only happen if billionaires want to indulge in it.

We are better off getting innovations out of dick measuring than no innovation at all

2 Likes

I think de-industrialising our planet is a fantastic idea.

1 Like

The Current War is actually a good film about this. Depicts the innovation alongside the greed and ego of competing inventors

He’s not wrong.

2 Likes

So cringeworthy the way the Washington post, a newspaper he own, grovels after this stunt.

The complete lack of self-respect from them.

3 Likes

You don’t need to go to space for that. It’s the same logic as wanting to terraform an unlivable planet like Mars instead of just de-polluting the pristine gem of a planet we live on.

4 Likes

Exactly, these guys just want to ruin another planet, not anything else or more noble.

3 Likes

What is there to ruin on Mars or the moon lol?

Literally just dead rock, might as well make use of them if it means we can preserve the earth better.

They’d find a way.

Especially the moon, where any kind of massive explosions or trauma could cause big tide shifts here in earth and massive flooding.

I wouldn’t use the Moon, that would be daft. But if there was a way to move all our heavy industry to Mars, then I think that’s a great idea.

1 Like

Mining operations.

1 Like

Moving people to other planets is a completely inevtiable part of our future the same way there are now always people in space at any given time.

I think its crazy to imagine what we could achieve potentially hundreds of years in the future.

1 Like

The point is you’re assuming good intent on the part of rapacious hoarders like Bezos, Musk etc. The so called innovations in their respective companies have meant more profits for them and more misery for the rest of society. What makes you think privatizing space is going to be a net positive for humanity?

People used to fantasize that robots and automation would result in a better more convenient life for everyone. Automated packaging robots at Amazon have resulted in factory workers being crushed by the sheer workload.

If this whole billionaire apace race facade was actually beneficial why haven’t these asshole hoarders spent equal or more on clean water or renewable energy or reforestation?

3 Likes

I doubt we’d be able to find any planet as livable as the earth is. Our make any barren rock as livable.

If we could, we’d have figured out how to stop this one getting so fucked up.

What’s more likely than anything else is that the actions of people like bezos and Branson will cause the ruin of the human race before long and them be able to escape, jet off and live the rest of their days in a miserable existence in some space suit, alone in some shithole planet.

3 Likes

You guys have an unreasonable hatred towards Jeff Bezos.

1 Like