General News

Hamza Choudry did the same after the cup final. Draped in a palestinian flag.

Tbh while I think that was also out of place I actually have less of a problem with it because that’s at least an individual choosing to make his own statement rather than a continual, coordinated ritual that everyone is forced to participate in or else be possibly branded a bigot. Still, it’s out of place when it comes to sports in my view.

3 Likes

This stance is basically ‘keep it out of sports’ but sports has always been a vehicle and a means to be used, Olympics especially. That horse has left its stable a long long time ago.

3 Likes

Can’t quite wrap my head around the idea that sports should be disconnected from politics.

2 Likes

I’d argue that it’s still divisive. If you’re a fan from a country of the opposite side of that war (e.g. in this case, an Israeli), that sort of image might make one uncomfortable.

1 Like

Quite frankly if the sight of a flag makes you uncomfortable you probably shouldn’t watch the tv or leave the house at all.

2 Likes

Because life is not only politics

Apart from the bits that are. Including the times sports is.

Why would it not make someone from that part of the world, on the opposite side of the war, feel uncomfortable?

You’re just being a dickhead contrarian again.

It certainly has, but I just think that there’s enough evidence now and particularly currently that people are often more turned away by these gestures in sports rather than taken in by them. I don’t at all agree with the booing btw I think it’s a ridiculous reaction, I’m more just trying to explain why I feel it happens and I think it’s always going to be difficult to properly address these issues within sports.

This analysis doesn’t make sense, some people being taken in is better than none.

I think that politics are inherently divisive and sports tend to connect people, and therefore it isn’t a marriage made in heaven. I mean look at this forum, we all argue back and forth quite a lot about Arsenal but if we spent all our time on here speaking about these issues we’d be at each others throats a hell of a lot more.

2 Likes

No my friend sports should be about sports. Politics within the realm of sports fine. But I would not want to go to my favorite restaurant and be reminded that I’m black and how under privilege being born black in a white white country is. Nor would I want it in the gym I go to, cinemas, bars or etc. some just want to be entertain to forget social ills not to be lectured about it like they don’t know

It is. Apart from when it’s not.

And like punditry, stats and transfer rumours it’s easy to ignore those bits if you want. The players and organisations are free to make thier choices just as we are free to pay them any heed or attention. As others have pointed out it’s literally five seconds now and players who no longer want to take part aren’t doing so.

2 Likes

It is about sports, it isn’t interrupting the 90minutes of us witnessing how shit Arsenal is these days.

It just makes arsenal worse for 90min and 5 seconds

2 Likes

Hahahahaha

Sure if your perspective is that you won’t compromise at all in how you try to bring enough people into the fold on this issue then I understand that, but I don’t know how many people who have become more educated on racism came to that conclusion because of anything that the Premier League or the players are doing. Again, to me if you’re someone who is sympathetic to these issues and wants to genuinely understand them, you will have surely come to that conclusion independently rather than been guided to it by hollow signalling from athletes.

Everything that attracts a lot of attention is the right moment for protesting and alike. To make the masses aware of something. Kneeling in a empty stadium 20 minutes after the game. Who sees that? That kind of defeats the purpose.

Can you break this down please because I did not understand this one bit. I’m not sure what compromise needs to be made over a gesture.