General News

Reminds me of this.

@Electrifying is right, these gatekeepers won’t even know where Jamaica is. They see an opportunity to feel moral superiority and they grab it.

In that video, the lady calls Hawaii a continent.

3 Likes

Was there any outrage? I mostly saw jokes and now people complaining about the people allegedly complaining.

Don’t tell that to Trump. Just tells how hypocritical people can get.

There was composing at first just got drowned out

The funny thing is most of these people are wealthy upper middle class people who have had only privilege in their life. Like this girl here in the Video talking about white privilege when her dad went to Harvard and she got into UCLA through affirmative action.

I personally don’t understand what this cultural appropriation even is, like @RockyMaivia said Jamaicans love being represented everywhere. Cultures are shared everywhere, music, food, clothes technology etc… why are people trying to label everyone and create more segregation. It’s these type of moral grand standers, “woke” people and “activists” that lead to the rise of Trump and Brexit, and if they continue their only going to cause more division and piss more people off. Adele will cave though, probably apologise instead of just telling to get fucked.

5 Likes

I doubt she will apologise because it’s the same nut jobs that complained she lost weight.

So just a question, I used to rock Bob Marley shirts all the time with Jamaican colors, would that be considered cultural appropriation nowadays?? Lol.

2 Likes

Yes, you monster. :grin:

4 Likes

I don’t care about cultural appropriation, I just think she looks shit and like she’s trying way too hard. Bit of a cringe look.

3 Likes

Looks so awkward to boot like she did not want the photo taken. In her defense during carnival as most londoners know this fucking shit hair style is everywhere on many heads :unamused:

2 Likes

Cultural appropriation is pretty much flatout racism. Imagine if you told a minority they were culturally appropriating European culture and they weren’t aloud to do it.

1 Like

Seems a bit strong?

Wagwan from the other side.

1 Like

Wa gwan*

3 Likes

Seen plenty of people just write it as one word tbf, but as a white middle class man I’m definitely happy to defer to others on the subject of how patois should look when written down :grin:

2 Likes

What a poser :grin:

1 Like

Language appropriation :sunglasses:

I was just messing it’s a common mistake, because when said it sounds like one word but it’s “what’s going on?” Even “wa gwan” is a shortened version of “wass gwaning”.

Your Line was still funny though

1 Like

Despite the self effacing comment about being middle class and white, I’m from shitty East London and had a fair few friends from the Caribbean so am familiar with the term. Growing up it always got shortened in written form, but then again so did most words, whatever the language or dialect. Back in the days when you had to watch your character count in text messages to avoid wasting credit on your pay as you go phone :grin:

2 Likes

Written wagwan pronounced wha gwan !?