General News

Communist being the keyword, not Atheist

Never thought Iā€™d see atheists using the ā€˜no true Scotsmanā€™, how the tables turn :smile:

Bad comparison imo.

The populations of Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, and the Netherlands identified as 85-90% (on average) atheist or non-practicing Christians. [Edit: I canā€™t find the article where I read these stats anymore, it was a couple of years ago - so take it with a pinch of salt. But if you look at either Atheism, non-belief, culturally religious, I importance of religion etc. the Lowlands and Nordics rank very highly]

I know where Iā€™d rather live if I had to choose between a theocracy like Iran or Saudi Arabia and then the countries I just mentioned :joy:

1 Like

How so?

If a person is involved in improper act and happens to be an Atheist, that doesnā€™t mean he did the said act in the name of Atheism.
Unless the motivation behind the act is related to Atheism, how does anything that Soviet Russia or Communist China do counts as an outcome of being Atheist?

You said that if everyone was an atheist then the world would be a nicer place to live.

I gave examples of 2 such places where atheism was encouraged.

Unless you think they were nice places to live, your original point is already something youā€™re either gonna have to admit was wrong, or will have to qualify.

1 Like

I think with one party states itā€™s harder because the party/ideology becomes the religion so itā€™s not quite the same.

Western countries with high levels of atheism/low levels of religion are a better example of what Trion meant.

Interesting, which specific parts of what happens in schools do you think is insufficient and what are the exact improvements you think are required?

Iā€™m not Spanky but one thing I noticed here in the UK is that a lot of people donā€™t join a sports club or society of some kind until uni.

From my experience in countries like Switzerland and Denmark, being a part of a sports club or an after school activity is a huge part of their societies.

Almost every young school child is a part of a local sports club - football, handball, badminton, tennis, sailing, rowing etc. whatever that they go to immediately after school. And if they arenā€™t a member of a sports club theyā€™re usually a part of a ā€œFree Time Clubā€ (Fritidsklub) hosted at the school or near the school. This is a place for kids to get together and have fun with others their age, doing things like art and drama and music etc. with some adult supervision. Once youā€™re about 12 you graduate to the Youth Club (Ungdomsklub) where itā€™s similar but the kids are a bit older and more mature.

This is basically to make sure that the kids have structured free time that adds value to their experience growing up rather than just letting them go home on their own waiting for their mum and dad to get home from work - hours of free time where they might get up to all sorts of trouble or waste their time with YouTube.

These are run by the local council you live in.

In Switzerland and Denmark, every local council also had a huge indoor sports arena with badminton, 5 a side pitches, etc. as well as outdoor 11 a side football pitches for the local youth clubs. Grassroots sports and communal sports are a HUGE part of Swiss and Danish/Scandinavian society and they get a lot of local and state funding.

Basically as one part daycare, one part keeping kids of the streets and one part helping to develop and nurture well-rounded adults.

I donā€™t think thereā€™s enough funding or cultural support for that here in the UK. Kids have too much freedom to just fuck about after school.

6 Likes

It on the parents really, all the stuff you mentioned is out there already

Agreed. Also the Nordic countries are just perfect places to live by the sounds of things and itā€™s just unfair to compare them. (I mean thatā€™s what people say when others tout how their social democracy helps people there stay happy and reduce inequality).

But my point is, I donā€™t think there is one right answer. Thatā€™s what my reply to trion was about mainly.

Yeah thatā€™s what I meant by cultural support, in the sense that itā€™s just not a British norm.

That being said I donā€™t think itā€™s to a similarly high standard or engrained enough in the UK, needs to be a bigger push to get kids engaged in these things.

I feel like sport that isnā€™t football or rugby is also often only within reach of kids from middle class backgrounds. You donā€™t have enough big communal multi-sport facilities that are supported by the government and local government.

Yep. I did various things when I was growing up ā€“ dance, badminton, netballā€¦ and so did most of my friends. The school had football, rugby and other sport teams too. You canā€™t force people into it though :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

It comes at juggling hours for a lot of parents and clubs cost and more on top of kit needed.

Prob explains how you demolished a bottle of red wine and then did a 10 miler the following morning :wink:

But in Denmark itā€™s all heavily subsidised, and the kids just head over after school themselves.

The whole point is it acts as a type of daycare so parents can work and donā€™t have to worry about their kids after school.

Kit they have to pay for etc. but the clubs and whatnot are subsidised quite heavily.

2 Likes

Teach students tell tale signs someone is not coping with life. Change in behaviours. More awareness about extremism in R.E or General studies, the far right and far left and religious extremists are people you learn nothing of and i feel like they should be mentioned and why they are awful.
I feel the only safeguarding I had was about online safety and how pedophiles pretend to be kids, you get taught nothing about everything else, all it takes is a kid feeling depressed to go looking for answers and finding some racist forum and building an extremist view how its their fault his feeling that wayā€¦as an example. Just feel like there needs to be more warnings about how shit people are in the world.

This is all based on about 9 years ago and I know alot has changed but I feel these would help.

1 Like

The cultural thing is a fair point but not sure about this one.

I thought the leisure centre centre system throughout the UK was pretty comprehensive. I was always heavy into sport growing up so maybe my experience of availability is skewed.

I know Everyone Active who administers alot of centre in the UK are compelled by Local Authorities to subsidise cost for certain people so their kids can partake in activities outside of school. It probably isnā€™t subsidised as well as nordic countries though

1 Like

There are infinite options for clubs in the UK.

England competes in so many different sports categories at a high level internationally, everywhere you look there is a martial arts poster or 5 a side posters.

Parents just canā€™t be bothered and just kick their kids out the house until dinner timeā€¦thats the issue. Oh I have to drive him there? Ontop of the chips and chicken nugget dinner Iā€™m cooking ? Eurgh fuck that - source - my childhood

2 Likes

Ok fair enough, it could also just be my experience from where Iā€™ve lived in the UK as well.

Iā€™m definitely aware of sports colleges, where people can do their 6th form but with a strong focus on sports etc. but didnā€™t seem like there was a lot of freely accessible sports facilities available to everyone from a younger age.

Could also be because I donā€™t have kids, etc.

1 Like

Wasnā€™t that Emerys first name?