General News

I appreciate its pedantic of me, but I found the two to be different statements, and in a weighty discussion like this I felt it to be a distinction worth pointing out. Because if we accept that a large proportion/most/a large majority of terrorist acts are committed by people born here, then stricter immigration does not really begin to solve that problem.

And as you said, less fucking around in the Middle East. A complete rethink of foreign policy. Before radical Islam was the main terrorist threat to British cities it was the IRA, that didn’t exactly occur in a vacuum either.

Is the immigration from Islamic countries even significant currently? What’s the actual data on this?

1 Like
1 Like

No you were right to point this out.

No, I admit it doesn’t for those already here. For the future then yes, it absolutely does.

Not sure there is any. The last census was 2011.

1 Like

A lot of this talk takes me back to the Shamima Begim case last year. It was lretty clear then the government had some policies in place. Obviously that’s an extreme example because she fled our land to join an extremist cult overseas.

It’s a very grey area. And it’s extremely hard to police/control with today’s social networks taking down barriers to ease radicalisation.

1 Like

It goes a bit over your head I see. It’s not about Arsenal. It’s about a hard working kid who is living his dream, hurts nobody, but in your opinion shouldn’t be allowed to your country because his fellow country men might do something. But you made it clear you are okay with that kind of generalisation and unfairness that follows from it.

Stricter immigration is not No immigration.

If UK loses out on hard working kid, Nigeria gains one. And non first world countries need to have the best talent to stay.

2 Likes

I don’t agree with Dr S but I don’t think you’re being fair. Having an immigration policy that denys certain people into your country in order to protect your country maybe discriminatory but it is the right and even duty of a government to protect it’s populace primarily.

2 Likes

It’s about scale and safety and trying to think about what this country looks like in the long term in relation to this. Thanks to @arsenescoatmaker for his clarification on my behalf. Obviously I’m not against immigration and helping people as a general principle.

1 Like

No, I get it. In my opinion it’s just wrong, I just mentioned Nigeria, to allow a Christian Nigerian but deny a Muslim Nigerian. Because the Muslim might turn radical.

I’d think people would degree it’s extremely unfair, and not the way to go, to treat people as guilty just because of who they are of where they are from.

1 Like

Algeria’s government in the 90’s was not pro-west and they still had a decade long civil war against Islamists. Many of the people fighting against their goverment, had already been fighting against the famous western power that was the Soviet :stuck_out_tongue:

Libya and Syria are not exactly western friendly states either and I certainly remember many Islamists asking for western help when the war broke out in those countries.

1 Like

No, it absolutely isn’t. But it is a massive reason why we have homegrown British Muslim terrorists.

2 Likes

I think the reasons islamist terrorist and far right terrorists become what they are, are more similar than you think.

At least the brown boys I know of, they’re usually drifters in terms of never being that religious (drinking, drugs, partying etc) then they become ultra religious and it’s all about ‘belonging’ imo.

These are people that are a bit lost in society, like those incels etc. and they act out.

I think the best way to bring rates of these attacks down is to increase social cohesion and the health of society as a whole.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that these kinds of attacks are increasing as youth clubs and libraries are being shut, good jobs are harder to come by, and inequality is higher than ever.

But then that’s just my opinion.

4 Likes

Definitely agree with this, @Electrifying

I was also reading about Algerian Islam History as pointed out by @A.F

Poverty and unemployment puts any human being in a vulnerable position. Use Religious extremism(not just Islam) at such a vulnerable person and they will lose their humanity.

That said, there are certainly factions in Islamic community who just grow with an inherent hatred towards Jews, or other religion in general. This video gives me chills everytime.

That video’s crazy!

(It’s only dance music for the last minute)

What factions are these?

Oh boy…

I don’t know.
Maybe faction is wrong term but let say 1 in 20 or so normal citizens would be radicalized like that and no one would know.

If you don’t know - then don’t say. Or do you intend to go through your life constantly talking about things and making statements you’re completely incapable of backing up?

That video is evidence enough, don’t you think?
I won’t have specific names to provide.

Just like you can go about making statements that men raping women is a huge problem without the need to provide specific names, I can go about making statements that within Muslim community you have individuals who are brainwashed or influenced to have radical viewpoint.

It’s not a far fetched thought process. There is enough evidence out there to make that conclusion with certainty.

Do you intend to go about your life ignoring radicalism until someone gives you specifics?